Clown knife fish being super active

canavan.jm

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2021
Hi y’all, I got a 6 inch clown knife fish in my 180 gallon, he’s got tons of rocks and driftwood to hide in , I was told that smaller knife fish are very docile, they hide during the day and come out at night, my knife is incredibly active, he loves to cruise around the tank and swim around the rocks searching for food, he shares a tank with 6 2.5 inch tin foils, a saddled and ornate birchir which are 3-4 inch range, he eats very well too and is non aggressive with my other fish. Is this normal behavior?

wq parameters
Ammonia -0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-50 ppm
Ph- 7.4
Spec cond- 227 ppm
kH -5 degrees
Temp- 76 F / 24 c
Fluval fx6

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi y’all, I got a 6 inch clown knife fish in my 180 gallon, he’s got tons of rocks and driftwood to hide in , I was told that smaller knife fish are very docile, they hide during the day and come out at night, my knife is incredibly active, he loves to cruise around the tank and swim around the rocks searching for food, he shares a tank with 6 2.5 inch tin foils, a saddled and ornate birchir which are 3-4 inch range, he eats very well too and is non aggressive with my other fish. Is this normal behavior?

wq parameters
Ammonia -0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-50 ppm
Ph- 7.4
Spec cond- 227 ppm
kH -5 degrees
Temp- 76 F / 24 c
Fluval fx6
My personal experience with Clown KnifeFish they don't hide like most KnifeFish species. I think that is normal behavior.

canavan.jm

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2021
My personal experience with Clown KnifeFish they don't hide like most KnifeFish species. I think that is normal behavior.
My biggest concern was that the tin foils were stressing him out but he seems to just ignore them, and his movement is very calm nothing erratic, he does enjoy a good meal now ?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My biggest concern was that the tin foils were stressing him out but he seems to just ignore them, and his movement is very calm nothing erratic, he does enjoy a good meal now ?
Good to hear and wait till the Clown Knife gets larger the Tinfoil Barbs will be Dwarfed by it.

canavan.jm

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2021
You tank seems very understocked How do you get to Nitrate-50 ppm do you not do 2X or 1X fin level WC a week?
perhaps an external source, I’ve been performing 30% water changes twice a week and it’s dropped dramatically to the 10-15 range, surprisingly the fish have seemed unbothered,when I started the tank I did a fishless cycle using ammonium chloride as my ammonia source it may be that I didn’t remove enough initial water when my cycle was completed, also the tap water I use to do water changes contains some trace amounts of nitrate but I’m more on the lines of thinking I just didn’t take enough water out in the first place after it initially cycled

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store