coldest snakehead can survive

gocanucksgo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Canada
Hey guys just wondering what is the coldest temperature a Channa Gachua, Channa Bleheri, and Channa Aurantimaculata can survive? Its getting really cold know in Vancouver and I'm just wondering if I should put a heater in their tank.

Thanks!

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
Well, what's your house/room temp? your fish tank water probably same as your room temp, they not going to die unless your house -20F (joke) :) Anyway, always nice to give them a heater...it's always better than nothing!

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I've seen mine get down into as low as 10-12 area in the winter and they were fine but I try to keep the room around 14-15 so those low dips are not steady temps. If it's getting colder then that at night I would use a heater set to 14-15 if then the temps can still fluctuate but won't get lower.

that will also help keeps layer of warmer humid air in the tank in those cold winter nights.

gocanucksgo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Canada
the tank is in the garage... and iv seen the water drop as low as 8C so ya ill get a heater haha thanks DC and Oxymus

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
If in a garage here they'd be ice cubes lol seems winter has finally arrived here in the east coast!

I'm sure 8 won't kill them but I'd put a heater set to at least 10-12 for adults and if juvies I'd set it around 15

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Mine are at around 18 c..all the sub tropicals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store