cracked tank!!!!

OhNoBarracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
atlanta
my 10 inch red oscar's tank all of the sudden cracked in my bedroom about half off the tank went all over my carpet. dont worry guys the fish is fine and in a new tank. but woah what a mess and i had to wet/dry vac my carpet for atleast two hours. my question is was it a weight problem about 50 pounds off both gravel and decor in a 50 gallon or because it was about 3 years old

mods feel free to move thread wasnt sure where to put it

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
WOW!! thats a bad thing to have happen. If you bought the tank new i doubt that 3 yrs is the problem or the 50lbs of rocks and decor...How big is your oscar he could have gotten spooked and rammed the tank. Glad he's okay though.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
He may have also toppled some decor like a rock or something. The gravel wont put enough pressure to crack the tank. The pressure would some from the water. How thick is the glass and how tall is the tank. Also check to see if the seal gave away at the edges.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
IMO it was probably the seel. I am useing a 20gl that is as old as me so the tanks age ins't the problem. Possibly he knock some decor into the glass. I also don't thing you have a weight issue cuase I have had a lot more weight in a tank than that plus the tanks are made to withstand weight and pressure. So most likly your oscar did it or you had a bad seel that finnally gave way.

Sorry it happend, just be glad it wasn't a bigger tank.

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
What kind of stand did you have? Was the tank sitting level on the stand and level on the floor? if it was uneven the pressure may have finally given way....

Sorry to hear about that ...

Opiate

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Where eva theres Cichla!!!
aww that sux, same thing happened to a mate of mine...put all the fish in the bath then went out and got another tank...worked out all good in the end

OhNoBarracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
atlanta
well its on a steel stand one of the fancy petsmart kind. its a 50 gallon tank and it was perfectly level. i put the oscar in a temp ten gallon . while i went out to get a 65 gallon tank

carpediem

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
If the tank was sitting level and the stand was perfectly flat, so as not to put undue pressure on any particular spot on the tank, then I would say you could be looking at a defect. I have a couple of aquariums that are as old as I am and they have never leaked a drop. Age is not a factor.

I would contact the manufacturer. 3 years is probably well past the warranty but the tank should certainly not crack like that unless it is not set up properly i.e. unlevel or not flat. They owe you *something* perhaps a discount on a new tank.

geeah

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
CANADA EH
ya man, if you bought it new, harass the comapny write letters/emails. Never know might get a brand new tank delivered to your front door!

What brank of tank was it anyway??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store