creek chub

gootswa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Moon Twp, PA
There are a bunch of creek chub in my woods, I want to catch a few for in my aquarium, how can I make sure that they have no bacteria or diseases?

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
There are meds for this.Or Quarantine. But do not relaese them back if you do this. You cannot however control aquarium contaminants going into the wild.

Some meds...( Clout, methylene blue, metro,prazi pro....Etc....)

Also check with the DWS to see if it is legal to transport them and keep them.... Would be a good idea.

here we can only transport dead fish from local bodies of water.

ryverrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
SE PA
Creek chubs can get big (same size as a trout) and are happier in cold water. Kinda ugly fish too (caught some in Pine Creek Schuykill County). PA Fish and Boat requires that you have a license and count them toward the daily limit (if there is one for chubs- haven't checked). Also do no release- if you release them any place than where you caught them it violates PA law- and as Tongue33 you could introduce very bad contaminants into the local eco system

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
Are you keeping them by themselves? If so, just put them in the tank. If any diseases are apparent, ID the disease and treat with the appropriate medication.

If you intend to put them with other fish, quarantine for at least a couple of weeks. Keep water very clean. Dosing with Melafix and Pimafix can be helpful. I do not recommend using strong medications until you know the fish have a disease.

Also, be aware that creek chub are generally not compatible with other cyprinids, darters, topminnows, etc; they are voracious, large-mouthed predators and should only be kept with other aggressive fish of similar size. As said, they grow quite large, sometimes to a foot or more in length.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
ryverrat;2993719; said:
Creek chubs can get big (same size as a trout) and are happier in cold water. Kinda ugly fish too (caught some in Pine Creek Schuykill County). PA Fish and Boat requires that you have a license and count them toward the daily limit (if there is one for chubs- haven't checked). Also do no release- if you release them any place than where you caught them it violates PA law- and as Tongue33 you could introduce very bad contaminants into the local eco system
What same size as trout! No they dont get that big ;), They have big mouths and are escape artest i kept mine with a small cray with no prroblems just got to watch for it jumping to freedom. The only law I would worry about is if the creek is open to fishing at that time of year. There is no size limit and no limit to how many you can keep. Best of luck they are neat fish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
MultispeciesTamer;2995180; said:
What same size as trout! No they dont get that big ;), They have big mouths and are escape artest i kept mine with a small cray with no prroblems just got to watch for it jumping to freedom. The only law I would worry about is if the creek is open to fishing at that time of year. There is no size limit and no limit to how many you can keep. Best of luck they are neat fish.
I believe ryverrat meant creek chubs can reach the same size of trout (in smaller creeks) around 12 to 14 inch long. So yeah they are pretty big fish, I always fishing for them in summer if other fishing spots are already taken by some people (i dont have boat). Creek chub's cousin, the fallfish are largest minnow of Eastern United States and can reach more than 2 pounds. And the creek chub can eat smaller fishes. I should've kept that 13 inch common shiner few years ago.

MST, keep eye on your crayfish, they are part of creek chub's diet.

ryverrat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2008
SE PA
Also remember laws vary from state to state as to what can be kept and how it is collected. In PA they classify as bait (minnow family) and have a limit of 50 fish per day (PA has limits on all fish- no unlimited creel here anymore). gootswa's location is in PA (near Reading in I am not mistaken).

srikamaraja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2007
Vernon, CT
They will jump, I've seen them kill themselves bashing their heads against lids too.

Gave up on them altogether in captivity... might need an open-topped aquarium/pool with slanted sides...

Camshaft Ramrod

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
Orlando, FL
Huh...I had no idea what a creek chub was. I thought it was something you get when you go skinny dipping in your local river....
Looks like a cool little fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store