• rostratus

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
What are your top 3 species from this genus?

why did you choose said species?
Is there a collection point that more appealling than others?

Which is most colorful?

I've kept robersoni, rostratus and have 1 alfari, debating a group of longimanus or altifrons- and less likely bussingi but i'd love to hear what others prefer and like about these guys

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I want rostratus the most, there's a tall bodied robertsoni locale that looks like a blue amphilophus that I also want, and then bussingi. Allegedly there's a robertsoni locale with red gills, and while I want the blue more, I am still intrigued by this.

Reactions: CrazyPhishMan

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I’ve heard of the red morph of robertsoni. I’ve never kept them long enough to see the adult.
Rostratus are nice but I only was able to source a singleton years ago

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept
robertsoni
1660591019022.png
longimanus (L Nicaragua)
1660591078074.png
and rostratus
1660591152557.png
also one formerly on the genus (now Wajpamheros) nourissatti
1660591336469.png
I believe rostratus were my favorite,
Am now looking forward to collecting a couple Panamanians.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I currently have robertsoni (F1 Belize COTA), longimanus (F1 Rio San Juan COTA) and altifrons (CB TUIC).. I also had alfari (F2 Rio Este TUIC) and rostratus (CB Wet Spot)..

In my limited experience I'd say altifrons and rostratus are my favorites.. both are way more active than the others.. I have 8 altifrons currently and they swim all over my 240, constantly in motion and feisty.. the rostratus were very active too but generally stayed in the lower 3rd.. I should have kept them but decided to go in a different direction with that tank.. Will definitely get them again..

The longimanus are active , but they seem to be borderline skittish.. but they're a real nice looking cichlid and work well with my nics..

If I had to choose between a group on altifrons or a group of longimanus, I'd most likely go with the altifrons based on their behavior not so much based on color. as mine have not colored up yet. But I don't think you can go wrong with either...

Last edited:

keystonewma

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2012
Sand Springs, OK
I currently have F1 longimanus and Robertsoni. I chose those species because I had never kept them, and COTA had them for an inexpensive price when I placed an order for other species. I have always enjoyed the mannerisms of geos; the Criboheros filled a similar niche and are a better fit for my water chemistry.

I personally like the look of the Robertsoni better, but the longimanus scores points for being way less common. My Robertsoni have grown considerably larger; the fact they are not breeding may account for the accelerated growth rate compared to my longimanus. The longimanus are very active, and I found them to be super easy to breed. They get along with others, but really flip the switch on aggression when starting to breed. Luckily their mouth is not structurally the strongest. The colors are more subdued on the longimanus unless the lighting is really good. That tank gets some sporadic morning sun and when it does the iridescent colors on the body really pop on longimanus.

I raised a huge batch of fry, sold a few dozen, then gave away about 120 of them at 2 to 3 inches in size. As soon as I thinned the ranks to 10 fish the remaining fish started breeding all over the tank. It seems longimanus are almost like convicts when it comes to breeding.

My longimanus are not skittish, but aggressively beg for food any time I walk by the tank.

Sorry poor pic, but my best images of longimanus are videos so I can't easily post them.

I have really enjoyed both species and I will be trying some different Criboheros species in the future.

IMG_4312.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store