critique on sump design for 180g Oscar tank

Oscarman89

Feeder Fish
Mar 9, 2016
I'm new on here so hopefully I posted this in the right place. my wife got me hooked on this hobby and I've been tending her tanks for a while, however, this will be my first. I'm currently setting up my new 180g tank and am trying to design a sump that will be more than sufficient for the project, and anything else this tank may become in the future. The working water level for the sump is 15" which will give about 67g +/- in the sump with a total of 85 g capacity. If all check valves fail i will need 15g for drainage from the tank. my reasoning for using 2 jebao DCT-8000 pumps and running them at half speed is to reduce noise and wear and tear on the pumps. Plus if one pump fails I will be able to turn the other up to compensate while I'm waiting for the replacement. everything in the drawing is to scale.

The finished thought for the tank will be cypress knees (already in the back yard soaking) with a black sand substrate, a mat of java moss with anacharis taking over the back. I plan on stocking 2 tiger oscars, 1 blood parrot, 1 red severum, 1 fire eel, 2 super red bristle nose long fin pleco's, and ghost shrimp (mid day snack).

also is there anyone you would recommend to have build the sump if my schedule doesn't let up?

thank you all for your time and opinions.
sump design.png

Red_Man

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2010
Indiana
Design looks solid to me. Not a whole lot to a sump. I plan make one similar to yours in the near future. If you run out of time check out these guys.

http://synergyreef.com

I have called and spoke to them about having a sump built and they're good folks willing to go that extra mile if need be. I just decided in the end I could do it for way cheaper if I did they work myself. End result wasn't as pretty as some of their sumps but it works just the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store