Curing dropsy

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi
Was wondering if you had any idea how to cure dropsy apart from Epsom salt baths and Epsom soaked pellets please? I'm not sure about the cause, but the pH of the tap water speed last week and because I was away I missed it, a cory died and the tank ammonia and nitrite spiked. Readings today are 0,0,5 pH 7.8 temperature is 24. I can't treat the tank with much due to having snails and loaches, hence the baths, and I have no filter running to set up my hospital tank.
Hannah

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Dropsy can be tough because it is a symptom of some other underlying condition. An Epsom salt bath will reduce the fluid build up that causes the bloating. You could also treat with Kanamycin which will help if the cause is bacterial. If the cause is renal ie a kidney infection or failure it is thougher. If you can't treat the tank and don't have a hospital tank than baths are your only other option. Most of the time is bacterial in nature and kanamycin will work but you can't use it with inverts.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Usually by the time it gets to a bloating gut and protruding scales it's a bit late. The best you can do is correct the stress that is causing the disease, so it doesn't spread to other tank inhabitants. The bacteria is opportunistic, usually non-pathogenic but gets out of control because of too few water changes, detritus buildup in the substrate, high nitrates, or some other stress that must be dealt with or other fish will become infected.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
I've managed to get the water stable, so hoping that will help. After the salt baths the goldfish is looking better, seems he's survived dropsy for the second time now, this time loads worse than last. I will try an antibacterial bath tonight, is melafix ok?

Going away on Monday, worried about leaving the tank with someone who doesn't keep fish..

Never want a goldfish again, far too fragile... better go for a giant catfish instead :p

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Melafix will have no effect on Dropsy.

hanwyz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2013
United Kingdom
Ok thanks, I'll try and find the one you suggested online, melafix just happened to be the one I had in. He appears to be pulling through (again), so fingers crossed he'll be ok before I fly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store