cutting plexiglass

KurseD

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2005
the rock...671!!!
i've made a seperator for one of my tank. used plexiglass and just drilled holes in it., but it was a rush job (had to seperate my FH and p. bass before one of them got seriously injured) had the hardest time cutting it. ended up using a skill saw (but it just melted it so it's really ugly) i still have a bunch of plexi left so i'm gonna make a better seperator, what's the best method to cut it with?

rvrrays

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Kalamazoo, Michigan
The saber saw will work. Scoring with a carpenter's knife is best on thin pieces.

You need to get a blade designed for plastic and you need to keep coolant (water) on the cutting surface while the blade is moving.

Colin

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
Heck I just use a table saw. Works great for me! Also the table saw works great for cutting larger PVC pipe.

dutch217

Feeder Fish
Jun 9, 2005
for a couple of bucks they sell a p-glass knife which is more like a scaper, drag it along your sraight edge three or four times, than snap the glass over the edge of you table or work bench. the thicker the glass the more you have the drag across it.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
they sell a blade... like a box cutter.... score it and crack... ill get pics of mines tommrow

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Cypress, CA
I use my table saw to cut plexi glass, and people I just killed. :lol2: j/k. Why not just use lighting crates for separators? Any hardware store has it, and it is easier to cut. How thick is that plexiglass?

toxicfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan
I use a sharp pick/awl and a straight edge... works way better and faster than a utility knife or any saw blade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store