Cycling a tank with water from an old tank?

BoiseNoise

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
Idaho
I have a well-established 10-gallon tank that I have been "making do" with for about five years. Last week I purchased a 28-gallon tank that was on special at my LFS. My plan is to keep the 10-gallon and its inhabitants just as they are (it's set up as an unheated tank) and to start fresh with the new tank so that I can also keep some fish that need warmer temperatures.

My question is: Can I "jump-start" cycling for the new tank by partially filling it with used water from my established tank? It seems to me this would help get the good bacteria off to a faster start. But I'm not seeing any information about this, so maybe it's not a good idea?

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
sure it helps a little to use aged water but you would be better off using a dirty filter from that tank instead or even gravel.No matter what its not going to be a "miracle cycle" but it will definitely help.Normally if you have to buy a new filter anyway or have one from the tank you just picked up then let them run together on the old tank until you are ready to start the new one.Then take the extra filter from the new set up and switch.aged water will only do so much though.You need the bacteria from the established tanks filter and/or gravel etc to get it jump started but the tank will still go through a cycle regardless.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Water isn't cycled. You'll just be putting nitrates into the tank. Use some bio media from the filter (if you have a HOB, just take the bio media and squeeze it into the new tank), or transfer some gravel, if you have any. It's still gonna take about three weeks for your tank to cycle, since you're seeding it. Add ammonia (please do a fishless cycle, there's no point in making a fish suffer when they sell pure ammonia, or you could also put a prawn in a pantyhose and drop it in the tank).

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
What I've always done to jump-start a tank is simply set up the new tank, stock it lightly, and squeeze out a well-established sponge into the new tank. Most of the bacteria will survive the move and set themselves up within two or three days. Using this method, I've only ever seen a blip of ammonia (less than .25) during the first few days, then it's done. I never see nitrItes at all. This even worked in a 20 gallon tank I quarantined a 4" koi in for three weeks. Granted, the nitrAtes were still a great burden and required 50% percent changes every other day, but the nitrogen cycle was established within those first two or three days.

BoiseNoise

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
Idaho
Thanks! The filter suggestion is very helpful. I can definitely move some of the gravel over, too.

I've thought about switching to sand in my old 10-gallon tank, anyway, but I'm not sure. I've read that the sewellia would prefer sand, but I think the squirrel loach might really miss the gravel. He maintains his own tunnel under a rock and a plant that I have in one end of the tank. Ever since I bought the squirrel loach, my sewellia hangs out as close to him as possible and they appear to be best buddies, so I don't want to separate them just on the grounds of different substrates.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
I would do like fishjunky said and use the filter as your fist option, but if you do not want to take the filter off the old tank use 50% of the water.

geronimo69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
smitty03281964;4793433; said:
I would do like fishjunky said and use the filter as your fist option, but if you do not want to take the filter off the old tank use 50% of the water.

Taking water from the old tank does NOTHING to cycle a new one. Beneficial Bacteria is on the surfaces of decorations, in your filters, etc. The only thing taking some water does, is cause less stress on the fish. I'd suggest no more than 25%. Give the fish new water.

I haven't cycled a tank in a few years. I simply take some cycled media from the sump of my 150 and add it to the new filter on the new tank. I don't ever read ammonia or nitrites.

Spiritofthesoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2010
Singapore
Well BB can also be found in the water column but there are very little in there. Sure take aged water could reduce cycling time but don't expect a huge jump like a day or two. I'll say around minutes or seconds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store