Darienheros calobrensis

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This species is one of the reasons I moved to Panama, along with 2 other Panamanian endemics, Isthmoheros tuirense, and Geophagus crassilabrus..
I have been coveting them for about 20 years, and back when I left the US for Panama in 2015, Darienheros was still unavailable to me (as far as I knew).
There are only a few other cichlids on my holy grail list, and they are/were even more remote possibilities.
Iranocichla hormuzensis and Nandopsis ramsdeni, both with geo political barriers, all the Paretroplus and other Madagascans, although I was able to keep a number of Madagascans, export restrictions are becoming tighter and tighter these days, and hydrizing has become such an abhorrent part of modern day cichlid husbandry, its getting harder and harder to get legitimate species.
And then there is Heterchromis multidens, only now becoming available in the US.
So for me to experience the majority on my list before I kick the bucket, moving to Panama was the most logical choice.
Took almost 9 years to get them (The 3 almost 4 year pandemic shut down didn't help).
So finally a couple weeks ago, cast netting in a fairly fast flowing, low altitude section of the Chepo river near the Darien they finally turned up.
IMG_5557.jpeg
We pulled out 5 from the Rio Chepo, ranging in size from about 2" TL to one individual 6" TL.
5a3cd4ce-4b36-42dd-b936-8e1a63dd326d.jpeg60900726-339b-4612-9bde-b5f9e8234aa1.jpeg
First described as Cichlasoma calobrense by Meek in 1913 it has bounced around from genus to genus, ever since.
In the mid 70s and again in the 90s they were transferred to Amphilophus,
At the same size, and age, they do slightly resemble Amphilophus lyonsi (another Panamanian endemic), but
this may have more to do with convergent evolution due to similar habitat, and trophic preferences, rather than an actual close relationship).
1688915631522.png
and later they were thought to be part of the genus Astatheros.
But as of 2016 Rican, in his revision of middle American cichlids, and through DNA analysis found they were distinct enough to deserve their own genus, Darienheros , the name derived from the name of an aboriginal tribe that once inhabited the Darien, and Heros, associated with new world cichlids.
So far, I have found them to be invertebrate, and possibly algal pickers, as their small mouth and pointed profile might suggest.
IMG_5368.jpegIMG_5366.jpeg
The young spend a lot of time concealed in the roots of terrestrial plants.

IMG_5646.jpeg
Depth where they were caught was only about 3 to 4 feet, and borders islands of exposed terrestrial vegetation, pH in the river tested approx 7.8 to 8.2 and even though turbid and coffee brown nitrate was non-detectable.
fd1a19a5-925d-4978-a3eb-af9f68b10505.jpeg2e33e1c9-e484-4c12-ba2b-6fd953c017e0.jpeg
Non-cichlid species they inhabited the river with, were gobies, Plecos, and most common, Tetras.
IMG_5321.jpegIMG_5460.jpegIMG_6726.jpegIMG_2606.jpeg
On the day of collecting Darienheros, no other cichlid species were caught, or noticed in the immediate vicinity..
IMG_5604.jpeg

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
One of the things I find interesting about keeping cichlids from differing worldwide locations, is how similar traits develop simultaneously in unrelated species on separate continents, to meet the needs in similar habitats (convergent evolution).
The cichlid below on the is Etroplus canarensis, a riverine species from India, totally unrelated to Darienheros.
1688925883366.png1688926123546.png
But both species share that unique similar shaped mouth, color and shape.
Both species come from similar riverine habitat, and share a similar diet though half a world apart.
IMG_5605.jpeg

Last edited:

Travisjaso9

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2022
Idek
This species is one of the reasons I moved to Panama, along with 2 other Panamanian endemics, Isthmoheros tuirense, and Geophagus crassilabrus..
I have been coveting them for about 20 years, and back when I left the US for Panama in 2015, Darienheros was still unavailable to me (as far as I knew).
There are only a few other cichlids on my holy grail list, and they are/were even more remote possibilities.
Iranocichla hormuzensis and Nandopsis ramsdeni, both with geo political barriers, all the Paretroplus and other Madagascans, although I was able to keep a number of Madagascans, export restrictions are becoming tighter and tighter these days, and hydrizing has become such an abhorrent part of modern day cichlid husbandry, its getting harder and harder to get legitimate species.
And then there is Heterchromis multidens, only now becoming available in the US.
So for me to experience the majority on my list before I kick the bucket, moving to Panama was the most logical choice.
Took almost 9 years to get them (The 3 almost 4 year pandemic shut down didn't help).
So finally a couple weeks ago, cast netting in a fairly fast flowing, low altitude section of the Chepo river near the Darien they finally turned up.
View attachment 1522011
We pulled out 5 from the Rio Chepo, ranging in size from about 2" TL to one individual 6" TL.
View attachment 1522012View attachment 1522013
First described as Cichlasoma calobrense by Meek in 1913 it has bounced around from genus to genus, ever since.
In the mid 70s and again in the 90s they were transferred to Amphilophus,
At the same size, and age, they do slightly resemble Amphilophus lyonsi (another Panamanian endemic), but
this may have more to do with convergent evolution due to similar habitat, and trophic preferences, rather than an actual close relationship).
View attachment 1522025
and later they were thought to be part of the genus Astatheros.
But as of 2016 Rican, in his revision of middle American cichlids, and through DNA analysis found they were distinct enough to deserve their own genus, Darienheros , the name derived from the name of an aboriginal tribe that once inhabited the Darien, and Heros, associated with new world cichlids.
So far, I have found them to be invertebrate, and possibly algal pickers, as their small mouth and pointed profile might suggest.
View attachment 1522016View attachment 1522017
The young spend a lot of time concealed in the roots of terrestrial plants.

View attachment 1522015
Depth where they were caught was only about 3 to 4 feet, and borders islands of exposed terrestrial vegetation, pH in the river tested approx 7.8 to 8.2 and even though turbid and coffee brown nitrate was non-detectable.
View attachment 1522018View attachment 1522019
Non-cichlid species they inhabited the river with, were gobies, Plecos, and most common, Tetras.
View attachment 1522020View attachment 1522021View attachment 1522022View attachment 1522023
On the day of collecting Darienheros, no other cichlid species were caught, or noticed in the immediate vicinity..
View attachment 1522024
The 12th picture looks like a snakehead sorta

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The 12th picture looks like a snakehead sorta
Yes, these Gobiomorus are the new world predatory converget answer to fit the same niche snakeheads do in Asia.
IMG_1438.jpeg
In the bucket on the way home from another collecting foray, a relatively large one, ate a couple tetras while in transit.

.a07319a8-8e0b-4dea-af16-9f4ae0ce93ff.jpeg
Perfect answer to a new world geographically correct biotope tank, for those enamored by the snakehead look, and demeanor.

Reactions: Mazan

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
While this shot is by no means remotely good, its the only one I've taken so far, that shows an interesting trait of this species.
IMG_6038.jpeg
The spot in the fleshy part of the caudal peduncle, is set in the upper half of the penduncle, whereas in most Central Americans the spot (if present) is larger and spans the entire height in the fleshy part of the caudal.
In most South American cichlids, that spot is usually in the upper half, (as it is here in Darienheros).
Could this be a primitive vestige left over from when S American cichids migrated north, millions of years ago after Panama was formed, and connected the north and south American continents, and when the Andes rose changing the course of the Amazon from flowing west to east?
Some examples below.
1689273907984.png1689273975352.png1689274051066.png
Rheoheros lentiginossus (left),,,,,,,,,Amphilophus amarillo (middle).....Cryptoheros cutteri (right) all ......Central Americans
Below, Mesoheros festae (left) ...................Crenicichla (middle) ..............Australoheros "red Ceibal" (right) All S Americans

1689274335891.png1689274555051.png1689274641172.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store