Debating adding mates to my spotted gar tank

Deantrfc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2020
So here it goes, this is my first post so thanks in advance for any answers. I've recently bought 2 spotted gars and I want to maybe add my other fish to the big tank with them. The gars are only 6-8cm in a 7ft tank. My other fish are 2x hoplo catfish, red hump eartheater(american cichlid), bichir, bristlenose, plecostomus, 5x golden panchax and batman snail that I already doubt the latter 2 will be suitable. Thanks for any input

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So here it goes, this is my first post so thanks in advance for any answers. I've recently bought 2 spotted gars and I want to maybe add my other fish to the big tank with them. The gars are only 6-8cm in a 7ft tank. My other fish are 2x hoplo catfish, red hump eartheater(american cichlid), bichir, bristlenose, plecostomus, 5x golden panchax and batman snail that I already doubt the latter 2 will be suitable. Thanks for any input
Honestly most of those fish would probably be eaten by the gar. The earth eater, bichir and snail should be fine. I would use nerite snails to help with algea and maybe add a few more earth eaters. You could possibly add in some tinfoil Barb's but not too many tho, they can be very sorry fish.

Deantrfc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2020
Yeah I've read about bichirs being fine with them. I would have thought the plecs and even the hoplos would be ok as long as they have places to hide. Already knew the panchax wouldn't be able to but I've got 3 tanks and the one with the gars looks empty so was hoping to move them in and then just run 2 tanks

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yeah I've read about bichirs being fine with them. I would have thought the plecs and even the hoplos would be ok as long as they have places to hide. Already knew the panchax wouldn't be able to but I've got 3 tanks and the one with the gars looks empty so was hoping to move them in and then just run 2 tanks
Yeah that's the only bad thing about gar is they will eat almost any fish they can fit in their mouth. They do tend to be more opertunistic then anything else tho from what I've seen.

Deantrfc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2020
Right now the gars are the smaller fish, well other than the panchax, I was thinking introducing mates early might get them used to it but then I wouldn't want it going the other way and it stressing the gars out

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Right now the gars are the smaller fish, well other than the panchax, I was thinking introducing mates early might get them used to it but then I wouldn't want it going the other way and it stressing the gars out
Personally I don't have much experience with gar other then the wild shortnose we have out here. But I would say it would probably be better to grow the gar out atleast to about 8 inches before adding tank mates. It would allow them enough time to get settled in and provide enough time to get used to new tank mates afterwards.

danzw1

Feeder Fish
May 2, 2020
Hi, it is definitely not possible to put the panchax with the spotted gar. I had them together for 1 week. Today when I woke up found the panchax dead missing its fins, which I think got ripped off by the gar. would definitely not recommend this combination

SnowPrince

Feeder Fish
Jul 29, 2020
My tank has arowanas, peacock bass, adult red hooks, adult silver dollars with florida and long nose gars. They are all living peacefully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store