Diagnosing the bully

huntery18

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Hey guys, I have a 150 gallon aquarium that up until now I haven’t had aggression issues, in the tank is
1x arowana (6 inches)
1xsalvini (3 inches)
1xfiremouth (3.5 inches)
1xpeacock bass (3 inches)
1x geophaus sveni (was sold as a sveni but may be a threadfin acara)
1x bichir (3 inches)
8x silver dollars (1 inch)
2x clown loach (2 inches)

The other day I came home to one of my two peacocks with a chunk out of him so I quickly moved him to a hospital tank and he has recovered, the next day I found bites in my bichir, after inspecting the tank I removed my Texas cichlid to another tank as I believe he was the one causing aggression. Thoughts? I have been monitoring the tank to see if there are any other bullies but I believe it’s when the lights are off.

IMG_3067.jpeg

IMG_3062.jpeg

IMG_3059.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3058.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'd remove the salvini.

Reactions: RedRaven

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sinister-Kisses Sinister-Kisses duanes duanes

huntery18

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Wait, so did the bite on the peacock bass happened after the cyanoguttatus was removed?
The Texas was in there for both bites I believe he is my aggressor, the second most aggressive fish in there is the fish that was sold as the phagus but looks more similar to a Acarichthys heckelii, I haven’t had any bites since removing the Texas but it hasn’t been long. Been keeping an eye on my salvini, he is still very small.

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Chicagoland
In my experience heckelii seen to have more conspecific aggression than aggression directed at tank mates. I have a pair of salvini that are kept solo as they would have larger fish stuck in the corner of a 240g when spawning. The overall stock in that tank will need to be addressed at some point in the near future(at least the arowana).

huntery18

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
In my experience heckelii seen to have more conspecific aggression than aggression directed at tank mates. I have a pair of salvini that are kept solo as they would have larger fish stuck in the corner of a 240g when spawning. The overall stock in that tank will need to be addressed at some point in the near future(at least the arowana).
since removing my Texas the rest of the tank seems to be a lot more relaxed, I am seeing fish that normally hide, out front and center, the tank has a custom aquascape with tons of caves, nooks, cranny’s and tunnels, I’m aware how nasty a salvini can get once mature but this one has been pretty mellow at his size, I feed twice a day a mixed diet consisting of live crickets, frozen market shrimp, free dried mysis shrimp, blood worms, hikari carnivore food sticks, hikari cichlid gold and some Algee wafers, I supplement the crickets and shrimp as treats. I do a 30-50 percent water change weekly. I keep my water at 82

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
To me, you have two separate groups of fish that don't belong together, reguardless of who did what at the moment, and that in the future may cause grief..

There are the South American soft water, low pH species (pH 7 or below).
The sveni(?) which do best a shoal.
The Cichla
The SDs and Arowana.

On the other hand, you have the Central Americans, all hard water, high pH species (pH around 8,
the FM (which belongs in a shoal of their own kind (4 or more FMs), and tends to be aggressive if kept as a lone individual)
the Herichthys (also volatile)
The salvini (another volatile cichlid especially as it matures.

And of course tha others that (to me) don't go in either cichlid biotopes at all.

My choices ultimate would be based on the type tap water I have.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
In addition to different water requirements, that is a lot of fish in a 150g. They may be small now and seem ok, but they are not, and things will get hairier, not easier. Even after having removed the Texas.
Just relating to the stocking levels I prefer, I have 7 adult Metynnis silver dollars in a 6” 125g, together with a few cories and Otto’s. The tank is heavily planted (yes, with silver dollars!). I consider that fully stocked. A 150g is not much larger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store