Diamond Rhom behavior questions

Willywonka

Feeder Fish
Jan 8, 2023
Thanks for accepting me to the page, this is my first post on this site.

My name is luc im from the netherlands and have a diamond rhom that is around 18cm atm. I have him around 6-7 months atm.

I have a question about rhoms behavior you guys have seen in your fish.

My setup:
I have him in a aqualantis aquarium that is around 500 liters. the tank is 150cm long. He has a oase currentpump/wavemaker and a oasebiomaster 600.
My water is tested weekly so i have perfect levels. I feed him frozen fish/shrimps etc. try to vary the diet. From time to time live but only as a threat. He eats every 2-3 days.
The light i have are 4 times led lamps with a timer on them. I only use 2 backsides lights on 1% of the power (can control it through an app). Its the lowest i can. 2 lamps are off
Watertemp: around 26.5C

He chases my finger and the tools i use for the window cleaning but the rest of the day he sits in his corner like on the picture. When all lights go out he swims around a lil.
he swims around from time to time but not that often. He usually just chills in the corner of the tank.

Do they swim around more when they get older? Or is this typical rhom behaviour? Or am i doing something wrong?

I would like to know if your rhoms swim around allday or act the same?

Thanks!

piranah 3.pngpiranha 4.jpg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
I haven’t had a rhom, but piranhas as a whole aren’t too active except at feedings and the occasional patrol. At this size, the fish is easy prey and will be more skittish.
Dim lights and floating plant cover helps them to feel more secure and comfortable swimming about.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
welcome,

nice tank!

swimming piranha are pygo or elong -

only usually active during feeding

you could add qt's dithers, tetras of sorts, they will get picked off tho

gl!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
At what size will they casually swim around? Is it a problem that my wavemaker is on 24/7?
I had a juvenile Black Rhombeus many years ago and it barely swam. I gave it to a friend.
If the wave maker is at the surface wouldn't think it would be a problem. Maybe cut it off stand back and see what happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store