DIY co2

pigblanket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2005
atlanta
I am currently running a 2 liter co2 generator on my 5 gallon planted tank. It seems as if I am always refilling it. I am preseantly in the process of setting up a 20 gallon planted tank. I happen to have some 5 gallon jugs that would be perfect. My question is would more surgar and more water help the cultures to last longer while still producing roughly the same amount of co2?

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
I dont think it will... yeast dies off as soon as alcohol reaches ard 14 percent. So increasing the level of sugar would not make a difference in the mixture lasting longer, more Co2 would probably be produced at the start and would slowly decline as usual. Most mixtures last about 4 weeks at max.

rweedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
pullman washington
I believe that you should be filling all the way with water and then adding sugar and yeast as you feel... the one thing that you should look into is a regulator to be able to adjust the amount of co2 leaving the system...

ballsmcgee1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2005
Mpls, MN
we had made some CO2 bottles for our tanks, for the mixture we put 7 cups of warm H2O, one cup sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast, these last for about 2 months, it seemed to help, but we had better luck uping the light intensity. we made our own lights and the plants grow like crazy...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store