Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2013
New Jersey

2 X 1 inch hose barbs with slip connector
2 X 1 inch ball valves
1 X 1 Union
4 X 1 inch PVC pipe about (2 inch long)

First step is to bond the small sections of pipe to the hose barbs and the union

Then bond the hose barbs to the valves

Lastly bond the valves with the barbs attached to the union

When you need to clean the filter you can close the valves and disconnect the unions

Process for the out flow is similar and covered in next post

Cichlidpirate

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2013
New Jersey
For the out flow which is Eheim 494 hose

Materials

1 X 1/2 inch union
2 X 1/2 inch ball valves (these are threaded, as I could only find threaded hose barbs)
2 X 1/2 hose barbs (these are threaded, would have preferred slip connection)
2 X 1/2 threaded to slip connection adapters
2 X 1/2 PVC pipe (about 2 inches long)

First step, install the threaded to slip connection adapters to the valves

Next, Bond the small sections of pipe to the threaded to slip connection adapters

Next, Bond the valves to the Union

Then, screw in the hose barbs to the valves (I used Teflon tape on the threads but not required)

When it is time to clean the filter close the valves and open the union

Cichlidpirate

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2013
New Jersey
I recently purchased a used Eheim 2250, being an older unit it did not come with the newer double tap valves that are found on current Eheims. The lack of the double tap valves meant every time you clean the filter you need to disconnect the hoses or move the whole unit with the hose hoses still attached not the most convenient set up. No big deal I figured I would just order a set of double tap valves and solve the problem. However the intake (Eheim 794 hose) double tap valves cost $135 from Eheim and the cheapest I could find online was still $60. For the outflow hose (Eheim 494) the double tap valves were more reasonable but still $25-$30. I figured I could make a set of double tap valves for much less and I did. For about $20 for the intake side and less than $15 for the outflow side. This is how I did it.

lizcasxmp2

Feeder Fish
Jul 20, 2024
Hi. Just saw your post on the eheim double tap quick disconnect. Are they still being used? Any issues? I just bought a few Eheim XL1500 and they don't come with double taps. Was gonna make some of my own using your post.
Personally I'm not confident in my plumbing abilities. What's your advice please? I'm in Pennsylvania

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
L lizcasxmp2 , did you buy the filters new or used? The new filters should have come with the quick release valves as it is part of the package deal. If you got used filters, you can still purchase the quick release valves but they are very pricey.

lizcasxmp2

Feeder Fish
Jul 20, 2024
L lizcasxmp2 , did you buy the filters new or used? The new filters should have come with the quick release valves as it is part of the package deal. If you got used filters, you can still purchase the quick release valves but they are very pricey.
The boxes are sealed. It's the 2260 model not the new 2262 as seen on chewy and Amazon with valves included. I bought them from a petstore that closed permanently. They cost me $250 each.
I've seen the large hose valve on ebay for $100 and the smaller valve is alot cheaper. Was just trying not to pay that much.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Great price on the new filters but yes unfortunately that model did not come with the double taps.

You mentioned you aren't comfortable with your plumbing abilities, do you have any family or friends that may be able to help you out? If not, you can practice assembling PVC pipe and fittings with PVC solvent by following some tutorials on youtube before you attempt to try the DIY solution posted in this thread topic.

lizcasxmp2

Feeder Fish
Jul 20, 2024
That's a good idea. I also wanted the original author to post a reply to my question as to how his DIY rigging lasted. I read that sometimes the union in the center leaks. I have 300 gallon stock tanks and I would hate for that to happen in basement.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store