DIY Fibreglass Aquarium, Help needed

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
I need to buy a larger 300 – 400 gal tank and so planning to get a fibreglass pond with viewing window, as attached, similar to the Pentair ones in the US.

The reason is I am going travelling and need something that is strong, lightweight and easy to move without needing a football team, whilst also not costing too much.

The attached one is the right size, however only is a 4 ft x 18 in window which is too small. And to get larger one will cost £1500!! And acrylic tanks in the UK would be £2000.

Looking at how they are made, it is using a mould, which is then removed, leaving a shell of fibreglass strong enough to hold water. However this looks very complicated.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Or any decent links to any threads etc.

Alternatively I thought about building a ‘shell’ out of thin 6mm ply braced with 2x4’s similar to below, to build the fibreglass around inside and out, and that way it would hold the shape to make it easy to make, without making it too much heavier. I’d then put in a 6 x 2 ft window.

Obviously the plywood would not be for strength, it would be the fibreglass providing the strength and then inside coated with a top coat so nice and smooth.

And final question, am I right in thinking normal silicone will adhere to fibreglass / topcoat?

Pond.jpg

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
You can do a simple plywood build like joey
It is a hole build series
I has watched those so many times! Love that series!

The main issues is than I need it to be lightweight, which 1.5'' ply wont be.

also doesn't using epoxy / pond armour crack if moves too much?

I need tank to be lightweight and strong?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Really curious about this. Want a big 750-900g tank and want something as light as possibly it can come with me if I move.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store