DIY Overflow for Aquarium

maetsuen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2020
Overflow - a DIY for Ponds and Aquarium

[the original idea to this design is not mine, this basically is a copy of the original design who discovered this DIY]

Hello fellow fish keepers! I hope you're all having a good day.
Here is a a step-by-step video on how to DIY an Overflow for Aquariums and Ponds.
A water magic I shall show you in this DIY Overflow.
The way it works seems magical to me because honestly I am not articulate enough to explain how it all really works.
That's reason I describe this DIY Overflow as magical.

We tear down this DIY Overflow to see the different components that come into completing one.

And finally we build a whole new unit just so you could see how simple the whole assembly of this DIY Overflow is.

Here are come screenshots I took from the video build.

overflow aquarium pond DIY.mp4_snapshot_00.37.jpg

overflow aquarium pond DIY.mp4_snapshot_01.09.jpgoverflow aquarium pond DIY.mp4_snapshot_06.30.jpgoverflow aquarium pond DIY.mp4_snapshot_06.38.jpgoverflow aquarium pond DIY.mp4_snapshot_06.38.jpgoverflow aquarium pond DIY.mp4_snapshot_07.25.jpgoverflow aquarium pond DIY.mp4_snapshot_08.39.jpg

That's it for this DIY Overflow. This will be a fun activity over the weekend.
Thanks for spending you're time with me guys.

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
It's a basic water bridge.
If you connect 2 buckets of water with a fully charged siphon, the water levels in both buckets will balance even to the same level.

If you drill a hole in one bucket, the water level in both buckets will drop down to that hole height.

So each vertical leg of the orange U is a bucket. The bottoms of orange U are capped off water tight. The blue tube is the charged siphon.

However drilling a hole through pond/fish tank wall is much simpler and more reliable than an overflow siphon. Drill bits are really cheap nowadays.

Reactions: jjohnwm

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I started keeping fish before glass hole saws were available so my first 300+ tanks all had overflows (multiple variations) all of which are vastly inferior and less reliable than a simple hole for drainage. Not to mention being more expensive. Even if you have tempered glass, its fairly straightforward to swap out a side panel on a tank.

Another fault of overflows is the buildup of biofilm which reduces water flow noticably. Lots of fish species like to hide inside pipes almost stopping flows. And having a clear tube bridging siphon is especially bad. Algae grows - much worse than biofilm for reducing flows and algae produces oxygen gas - you especially don't want bubbles in a siphon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store