DIY stand for multiple larger tanks

_erik_

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Sweden
Hello!

I am in the planning stages of making a three-level stand.

I would like two deep but low tanks (approx. 5 x 2,75 x 1,5 feet) on the two upper levels and two smaller tanks on the bottom level. I was thinking of doing the stand in the style of "King of DIY", heavily braced for stability. However since my stand will have multiple levels the tanks will not be resting on the corners of the stand as they usually do. Therefore I was thinking of using thicker lumber for increased strenght. Also, if possible, I would also like to avoid a middle support since it will block the view somewhat of the middle tank. Will 2x6s be enough?

I was also thinking of maybe using solid oak kitchen tops (1" or 1,5" thickness) with the same fotprint as the tank between the tank and the frame. However I keep reading that glass tanks should be resting directly on the frame with nothing inbetween so maybe this should be avoided?

Any answers to my questions or general advice would be greatly appreciated!

/Erik

edit: typo

Reactions: Backfromthedead

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I think you would come to regret this plan, especially considering the dimensions of the tanks as stated. If each tank is, as stated, 1.5 feet tall, then the three together take up 4.5 feet of height. A 2x6 under the top two levels would seem to be required if there is no center support, so add almost another foot of height for the top two supports. Add another few inches for some type of bottom level support, unless you plan on placing the bottom tank literally on the floor.

You are now very close to 6 feet of height...but we haven't yet considered the access space that must be provided above the two bottom levels. Let's say 9 inches of space, which combines to add another 1.5 feet of height to the whole contraption. The top of the uppermost tank is now well over 7 feet in height!

Even if that doesn't sound impractical...and I certainly hope that it does, because it is!...this is assuming that you can actually make do with that measly 9 inches of access for the bottom two levels. You're likely going to want to have some kind of covers, and probably some sort of lighting jammed in there. You will also want to be able to reach in with your arms, with hoses, siphons, nets, assorted other tools, possibly inserting rocks, driftwood, who knows what.

Having made this exact mistake myself, I can practically guarantee you that you will be cursing that narrow 9 inches of access within about 2 hours of beginning the tank set-up. But if you increase that 9 inches even to 12, which is still pretty tight for comfortable access...your entire construction is now towering almost 8 feet high.

Been there...done that...not going back. I strongly suggest you re-think your plan, and design a two-level stand. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Last edited:

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I was also thinking of maybe using solid oak kitchen tops (1" or 1,5" thickness) with the same fotprint as the tank between the tank and the frame. However I keep reading that glass tanks should be resting directly on the frame with nothing inbetween so maybe this should be avoided?
Some tanks may rest merely on the lower rims in the frame, but all my tanks rest on continuous plane surfaces of one sort of the other.

But I do not rest them directly on a hard surface, I put a piece of rubber between the base of the tank and the surface.

_erik_

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
Sweden
Yea, I think I will drop the wooden stand idea. They look nice but are not very space efficient and space is very limited in my fish room. I’ve been looking into pallet racks. Expensive but versatile and space efficient. Might go that route instead. Anyways, thank you for your help!

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store