Do tanks start small leaks mostly, before just bursting

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
My tank is a 125 from late 90s, always fresh water, thick glass, thick seal, rimmed with glass brace top middle with a plastic strip along that brace in the center.

If this thing were to ever have issues, is it more likely to be a basic leak, or is a seal likely to just split and all my fish die

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
My tank is a 125 from late 90s, always fresh water, thick glass, thick seal, rimmed with glass brace top middle with a plastic strip along that brace in the center.

If this thing were to ever have issues, is it more likely to be a basic leak, or is a seal likely to just split and all my fish die
Backfromthedead Backfromthedead

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ime, quality old glass tanks with worn out seals tend to start leaking slowly. Glass tanks that have big blowouts have more often than not been poorly constructed or are improperly set up on an insufficient stand or have heavy decor, equipment, objects leaning or on top of them for whatever reason.

Its also my opinion that a lot of catastrophic blowouts occur when the owner has an oopsie moment carelessly cleaning or decorating their tank.

Another big factor with large tanks is the care that was taken to properly move it from place to place. Pushing, pulling, or dropping the tank can potentially compromise a seal.

Also worth talking about are the plastic top braces on a lot of tanks. Even though theyre usually a fairly tough polymer, they can often be weakened by prolonged exposure to lighting or just time itself and will actually be stretched out in the case of some very old tanks, failing to properly brace the tank and leading to a failure. Obviously glass tanks with cracks or broken braces are not to be trusted.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have had lots of small leaks over the years. Cannot recall a small leak which went big. The two times a bigger tank let go suddenly gave no warning. I figured out the why on a 125 gallon. It was a DIY tank with an angle iron frame and center brace. Did not use stainless bolt & nut to fit the center brace. Used ordinary steel. Over several years the nut rusted and eventually the rust touched the glass. I figure there was pressure on a tiny spot of the glass panel and the glass split all the way down.
The other tank was placed in front of a window and over a heat vent. Had a blackout curtain on the window to block light and stop algae growth. My speculation was the cold from the window and the heat from the vent over time stressed the bond of the all glass tank. The glass did not break. The seam at one corner separated.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I have had one tank blow out. It was an acrylic tank and it was a sudden pop and 55gallons of water ruching out of a bottom seam. It took long enough for me to get the fish into a bucket before it emptied.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've had a few commercially-built glass tanks develop slow leaks, and one which failed catastrophically without warning. That single deluge changed my thinking about glass tanks in general, and commercially-built ones in particular. I don't believe that any of their warranies extend any further than simply replacing the cost of the tank that has burst and destroyed half your home and furnishings. Thanks a lot.

That's merely one of the reasons why I like plywood tanks: they might have or develop slow, small leaks...rarely...but they will virtually never fail catastrophically.

A product that has a good warranty is all well and good...but a product that will never need a warranty is even better. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store