Duckbill Catfish

ash1712

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2011
Pontefract England
Has anyone had any expirience with a type of duckbill catfish called sorubim lima. Ive done a bit of research and found that it grows around 30cm but has a very distinctive look.

love The Jack Dempseys

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Michigan
Just call it a lima shovelnose lol more people will know what your talking about. Yes they get about 15-20" and are carnivorous. They love feeders and blood worms.

fwlion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
NASHVILLE,TN
very interesting common catfish they get to about 18-20in. are basically live eaters they like alot of vertical and diagnal pieces of driftwood in their tank as they sit in a head down tail up position in the tank to camoflage themselves as a pieces of driftwood to grab feeders that swim by very cool catfish and usually very common not hard to find

GRAB YOU A FEW

fyjtfyj.jpg

images.jpg

jhvgkj.jpg

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
love The Jack Dempseys;5074889; said:
Just call it a lima shovelnose lol more people will know what your talking about. Yes they get about 15-20" and are carnivorous. They love feeders and blood worms.
those are bad for them they can carry diseases. And my old one loved krill.

spadoc79

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
tallahassee, florida
Mine will eat anything in front of his mouth from live fish to bloodworms, nightcrawlers, pieces of talapia and pellets....he's about 14 inches

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
ash1712;5078099; said:
Thanks for the info all i need to do now is keep my eyes open for one.
what tank mates will it have?

olive_cat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2009
conroe, texas
yes - they are a gentle non-aggressive fish - will eat small fish. a well-aerated and planted tank with few tankmates (no aggressive cichlids) would be good

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
olive_cat;5079090; said:
yes - they are a gentle non-aggressive fish - will eat small fish. a well-aerated and planted tank with few tankmates (no aggressive cichlids) would be good
I agree

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I've had them for many years. There are 5 species sold as S. lima. Most hobbyists don't actually know what species they have because all 5 are sold as lima. I have a 55-60cm S. cuspicaudis (sold as a lima). You can get a glimpse of her in the 15,000 video. She is in a vertical position ambushing the fry of cichlids in the tank. I had two males in with her for about 10 years and they used to go through the breeding/mating thing quite often.

The advice given about aggressive cichlids is very good.

I do have cichlids in with her, but she is a good size and the tank is also which allows the many nasty cichlids in the tank to live in peace with her as long as they are not mouth sized.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store