Filter foam PPI: Numbers vs Performance

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Anyone run into an inconsistency with some foam's so called PPI? The 'faux' poret blue stuff I had awhile back is long gone, broken apart. So I figured to use the aquaclear 110 sponges I had left over. Worked great for awhile. Supposedly 20PPI. Not! And they aren't 30PPI either but clog weirdly. Old particles cling to the pores even after washing and squeezing like a permanent deep stain. Another thing even stranger. Particles don't pull through the whole sponge! I get heavy accumulation right at the overflow on the hobs like a partition. Already had a bypass issue recently when the 225 was down about 5 inches from the top! If I hadn't caught it half the tank might have been drained. I've since shortened the Aquaclear stems to one piece instead of three. The huge sponge prefilters now cover those and it's worked better than ever.

Except I still have to watch for potential bypass every 2-3 days now from those aquaclear blocks. All the debris collects like a wall on the overflow side. Even the old blue stuff didn't do this, debris was caught through the WHOLE sponge, not just one area.

I've ordered some 15PPI pond foam sheets. If I didn't know better those aquaclear blocks seem to be 30PPI on one side only but that makes no sense. If It's their own company sponge they need to head back to the lab.

They also displace a LOT more water in the chambers than the blue stuff did at equal thickness (2 inches). They don't set level in the chambers but sit high. I'll replace this nuisance stuff once the other pads get here.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use Swiss Tropicals 2" thick sheet, and it has held up nicely since it was sent in 2020.
I use only 1 sheet as a verticle wall that divides the planted side of the sump, from the pump side
IMG_8795.jpeg
Above is when it was first installed, and (yet) it is sturdy enough to be still standing vertically today, separating the 1500 gph flow leading to the main tank
Type type flow rate used below.
IMG_0773.jpeg
It also uses a cadre of local shrimp to police up edible chunks of detritus, otherwise (if clogged) I just pull out the 20ish" panel and hose it off with the garden hose.
IMG_8907.jpeg\
I had used some of the cheaper versions of phoam, byt for my use, the Swiss Tropicals version seems far superious

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Another vote here for Poret (Swiss Tropicals). Expensive but so durable and effective that it is the cheapest option in the long run. I won't waste my time or money on anything else.

I use the 20 and 30 PPI densities; no idea how accurate that rating is or how I could tell. But the stuff works.

Last edited:

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Im with you Finwin, I’m also sick of all these different foams falling part or collapsing. Never thought there was a difference but everyone can’t be wrong so I’ll be ordering Poret soon. Have you tried that stuff yet?
I haven't tried the official poret yet. I've got some foam ordered from a pond supply company. I want to test out the 15 PPI. Let us all know the price of the poret, I hear the stuff's pretty expensive.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Another vote here for Poret (Swiss Tropicals). Expensive but so durable and effective that it is the cheapest option in the long run. I won't waste my time or money on anything else.

I use the 20 and 30 PPI densities; no idea how accurate that rating is or how I could tell. But the stuff works.
Do you make yours like a sandwich with the 20/30 PPI? I know most brands are color coded and you can see the pores.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I haven't tried the official poret yet. I've got some foam ordered from a pond supply company. I want to test out the 15 PPI. Let us all know the price of the poret, I hear the stuff's pretty expensive.
I’m trying to calculate how much I need and the correct thickness. Also, not sure of the ppi I need. I wanna do to a 10, 20, 30 ppi sandwich in that order.

I’m leaning towards the two inch thick 39”x39” sheets so I have enough but they’re $130 each sheet, regardless of ppi. I might just do a 20 and 30ppi layer to keep cost down or buy a smaller size to test out first

• Wow
Reactions: FINWIN and tlindsey

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I also use poret, the black one, in my sump as a divider. Coming up on 10 years with no issues. I have scuds in my sump that live in the foam which in addition to being very cool helps keep them cleared. I clean the foam once a year or less.

WP_20150718_021.jpg

• Love
Reactions: jjohnwm and FINWIN

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I’m trying to calculate how much I need and the correct thickness. Also, not sure of the ppi I need. I wanna do to a 10, 20, 30 ppi sandwich in that order.

I’m leaning towards the two inch thick 39”x39” sheets so I have enough but they’re $130 each sheet, regardless of ppi. I might just do a 20 and 30ppi layer to keep cost down or buy a smaller size to test out first
I've only seen 10PPI and 15PPI offered on Ebay...Amazon had it months ago but it seems to have vanished.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store