Finally got my “Tarpon”

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
As some of you guys know I’ve been wanting to get a Tarpon but you guys helped me realized how stupid of an idea that could have been. So I looked at your guys suggestions and Cowturtle (the Eel Pit Guy) suggested Golden Shiner. Now I may have not got a Golden Shiner, but I did get get a Shiner. Two actually (at a decent size). So a few weeks ago I went fishing and dip netting at a local creek with my youngest brother and my Papa. My brother and I wanted to fly fish, dip net, and fish with a spinner. I really wanted to get some large Striped or Common Shiners for my 55 as I only had smaller one at the time. Well as my Papa was setting up my fly rod, he had the fly dangling in the water for a few seconds while he was making sure everything was ok. In that few seconds it was in the water, he caught a Striped Shiner, unfortunately due to how long it took to get it off the fly, we had to release that one. Later on though, my brother was able to catch not one, but two nice Striped Shiners on a spinner. I was so happy and thanked him. They swim and feed and act just like a Tarpon at a smaller scale. They are each around 4-6” I’d guess at the moment. They eat brine shrimp, blood worms, pellets, and sometimes chopped up Silversides.

image.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
As some of you guys know I’ve been wanting to get a Tarpon but you guys helped me realized how stupid of an idea that could have been. So I looked at your guys suggestions and Cowturtle (the Eel Pit Guy) suggested Golden Shiner. Now I may have not got a Golden Shiner, but I did get get a Shiner. Two actually (at a decent size). So a few weeks ago I went fishing and dip netting at a local creek with my youngest brother and my Papa. My brother and I wanted to fly fish, dip net, and fish with a spinner. I really wanted to get some large Striped or Common Shiners for my 55 as I only had smaller one at the time. Well as my Papa was setting up my fly rod, he had the fly dangling in the water for a few seconds while he was making sure everything was ok. In that few seconds it was in the water, he caught a Striped Shiner, unfortunately due to how long it took to get it off the fly, we had to release that one. Later on though, my brother was able to catch not one, but two nice Striped Shiners on a spinner. I was so happy and thanked him. They swim and feed and act just like a Tarpon at a smaller scale. They are each around 4-6” I’d guess at the moment. They eat brine shrimp, blood worms, pellets, and sometimes chopped up Silversides.

View attachment 1548409
Is that a Festivum and a Black Skirt tetra in the aquarium with those wc shiners?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
Is that a Festivum and a Black Skirt tetra in the aquarium with those wc shiners?
What do you mean by wc shiners? Also yes and they all get along fine. No aggression at all besides the jewel which very rarely is aggressive and when it is it’s only towards a small sunfish and sometimes my Marbled Headstander. All fish live in harmony

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What do you mean by wc shiners? Also yes and they all get along fine. No aggression at all besides the jewel which very rarely is aggressive and when it is it’s only towards a small sunfish and sometimes my Marbled Headstander. All fish live in harmony
If you didn't quarantine the wild caught Shiners you may have introduced harmful parasites to your aquarium.

Loganfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2024
If you didn't quarantine the wild caught Shiners you may have introduced harmful parasites to your aquarium.
I monitor everyone closely. I do frequent water changes. Sometimes I add aquarium salt or saltwater to the tank in small quantities. Everyone eats well and looks healthy.

Reactions: phreeflow

Fishpony

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2015
Goodyear, Arizona
I monitor everyone closely. I do frequent water changes. Sometimes I add aquarium salt or saltwater to the tank in small quantities. Everyone eats well and looks healthy.
I'll admit that I'm guilty of plopping WC fish into my community tanks. Luckily nothing has reared its ugly head yet, but remember a lot of the bugs and bacterias you're not gonna see until it's too late. Wild fish have a built up immunity from exposure to whatever nasties live in the water with them, but our precious captive bred fish do not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store