Fish pond in a kiddy pool?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee

I used them to overwinter koi and other pond fish in my basement.
and have kept Tilapines in them in summer.

You will need some kind of pump to keep water from going stagnant, and aerated, and not expect them to last long if they get moved.
They can also playground sell serve buffets for raccoons, birds and other animal life they eat fish if not deep enough. Anything with under 2 feet of water depth is a temptation for them, and in the process they will rip it up.
You'd be better off using a 300 gal rubbermail horse trough, they are deep enough, and practically indestructible.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I agree with duanes. If it’s outside something deeper is needed to keep the fish safe. You can try netting or fencing it off, but keep in mind casualty’s are very possible.

This is the kiddy pool I used temporarily to hold my goldfish and koi. So not ideal for how many fish I had, but it bought me time to make them a bigger pond. 6B6CF35D-106F-4052-8CA1-5B4AABFC70E8.png
I initially had this set up in my basement, but moved them to the garage a week before the pond was finished. I didn’t dare put them in this outside. We have coons, mink, hawks, and others that would gladly pick them out of this shallow pool.
I used a pondmaster 190 submersible pump. It’s on its last leg here as you can see from the weak flow.
With smaller/less fish this pump works well. A bigger filter box would be a lot more ideal.

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I know it is possible. Any one done it. Thinking of one of those stiff plastic ones. Out doors in the shade, maybe some bluegills and catfish and gambusia (mostly for the Bluegills) What kind of filtration, if any?
I used one a few years back for a temporary holding facility for a rainbow trout prior to getting a fiber glass tank. I had him in there at least a couple months and worked fine. I just rigged up something to put a HOB filter in there and then tossed in my Tunze for water flow.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
If it's outside, also make sure it's difficult for pre-school children to get access to it for safety reasons. Kiddie pools pretty much say "jump-in" to kids young enough.

Reactions: Kris P Bacon

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I did have a real kiddie pool once. Hard plastic about 60 gallons. I kept it indoors at first then moved it outdoors and put a couple goldfish in it. Not sure why I got rid of it. Gave the goldfish to a friend who wanted some fish. They were in it for about 8 months.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have done it, and use them for my ducks to swim in. People chuck 'em, so they're free, but they don't last long. You need to keep an eye out for leaks & HDPE is not easy to patch/weld (You're a welder, I'm not, so there's a big difference.) YOu use a clothes iron/heat gun/blowdryer/bit of steel and fire/solderer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store