Fish room or Aquarium setup in Front Garage.

HumanBean

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hello Friends

Hope everyone is having a nice summer. I wanted to ask if anyone had a fish room setup in front garage but in a colder climate area where in winter they get snow and temperatures dips in negative . What is there setup in terms of insulation of the room also j how heating or cooling is managed. I want to setup my aquarium in garage due to logistical reasons but snow in winter and heat in summer is an issue . There is no insulation what so ever . Trying to work on the feasibility and stuff but need some details.

Please share some ideas ..

BOBKAH

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2011
MARYLAND
You didn't say how big your tank is?? I can tell you I have had ponds (2500-5000 gal) in sheds and the only heat needed was 2 1500 watt pond heaters. The water and room stayed at a toasty 78 degrees.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I recently moved all my tropical fish to a 400g polyethylene stock tank in my garage after growing tired of heat and humidity in my house during the summer. I have 2x 1000w heaters and keep a thick vinyl tarp cinched around the top which provides decent insulation. I plan to insulate the garage door with foam panel before it gets too cold out which will be cheap and easy.

All this stuff definitely wont hurt, but ive kept smaller glass tanks in there during the winter with just insulating foam panels taped around the tank and never had a problem. I just always use at least 2 heaters in case one fails.

In the case of high summer temps, i just always have a strong air pump and airstones running. So long as there is plenty of dissolved oxygen the fish can tolerate water temps in the 90s ime, though the warmest it seems to get is mid 80s on hottest days.

Last edited:
Reactions: phreeflow
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store