Florida Gar Care Questions

Jimmyk

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2022
1. Are juvenile Florida gars known to be cannibalistic? How do you raise multiple juvenile Florida gars together?
2. How many adult gars could live in a 172 gallon pond (Width: 52 inches x 52 inches, Height: 20 inches) for life?
3. What tank mates would you suggest for this pond?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
1. Are juvenile Florida gars known to be cannibalistic? How do you raise multiple juvenile Florida gars together?
2. How many adult gars could live in a 172 gallon pond (Width: 52 inches x 52 inches, Height: 20 inches) for life?
3. What tank mates would you suggest for this pond?
Florida Gars are one of the less aggressive gars and not as cannibalistic as their counterparts. You should be safe growing them up together provided they are of similar sizes. In terms of aggressiveness, I would rank them in this order:

alligator gars > Cuban gars > tropical gars > short nose/ Florida gars.

with your footprint however I would recommend max one Florida gar, but might be pushing it.

Reactions: AR1

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
your pond is a square 52”x52” by 20” tall. Solid Foot print for several Floida Gar. No issues with them turning in that size. Is bigger better? Of course My thoughts
I agree. Also, gars generally do not swim much in my experience. They tend to chill in one spot mostly near the surface of the water. 52"x52" should be plenty for several Florida gars (Especially if he's growing out juvenile ones, most likely are captive bred, which tend to stay on the smaller side compared to their wild caught counterpart).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store