Flowerhorn spitting out food and white stringy poop

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Hi

My young flowerhorn isn't eating. He wants his food but just chews it up and spits it out. He also has white poop. I have tried treating him with metro, prazi, epsom salt in both the water column and food. He unfortunately was in a 2ft tank with bad water quality for a little to long whilst I was setting up my 400 gallon.

He is now in a 60 gallon. I moved him a couple of weeks ago but hasn't really eaten since then.

I'm currently treating with tetracycline, as I have read on the webs that it fixed this issue in flowerhorns in a matter of hours but it's been 24h without any change.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

jmf

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Anyone?

mfehmi

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2010
Puerto Rico
The same thing happened to my FH. I treated him with metronidazole powder (if you don’t have the powder form available, you could crush a metronidazole tablet to get it powder). Mix the metro powder with a little bit of fish powder food a little bit of water tank and a little bit of epsom salt. Mix them very well and use a 1 ml syringe. You need to take for FH out, open his mouth and give him the mix. When you return your FH, he will spit most of the food, but a little bit is what is needed. In a couple of days he should be eating well. You could also use a medication called Clear, it’s also inyectable by mouth.
Search in youtube Flowerhorn syringe treatment to see the proper technique.

orionary

Feeder Fish
May 28, 2018
My flowerhorn is currently having the very same issue. And, from what jmf jmf had said, I am also treating it with Metro+ powder, prazipro (though waiting to see if metro works), and epsom salt. I've been doing metro bathe for two days in a row, and just tried injecting some epsom salt w/ his pellet food with a baby nasal pippette (i dont know if that's what it's called, plus I can't find a 1ml syringe ANYWHERE!). Some of the water+epsom salt goes out of its gills, but i'm just hoping some enters his guts. So far, the white poop is slowly decreasing, but he's still not eating and is still not that active most of the time!

Jlchaundy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2018
My fh has these symptoms as well. Not eating, white stringy poop. Is this worms? And de worming is necessary? I'm fairly new to fh and have never heard of anything like this before. His kok is also lumpy.

Jlchaundy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2018
Also I work at a small animal vet and we hand out 1ml syringes all the time!

ny.subway

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2017
There is posted thread regarding treating hex and other disease. As for cz products, hai got a good video on youtube on how to do it.

Water change, increases temp, epsom salt, pellet soaked to garlic, metro and quarantine tank. This is what i did when my flowerhorn got a hex.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store