Fluval FX6 intake/output hose placement in tank

Rbarr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2018
I will be moving from a 55 gallon tank with 2 HOB Topfin-75 filters to a 180 gallon tank with a Fluval FX6 Canister Filter. I am trying to determine if the Fluval FX6 will produce enough current for my Bala Sharks. If I install the intake and output hoses on opposite ends of the tank, will I need additional circulation? If it is determine that I will need additional circulation, I will set up the "Hillstream Build River-Tank Manifold System. Thanks for all comments, pro and con.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
So, I like to live by the KISS rule and the hillstream manifold seems overly complicated for what it accomplishes in the end. Especially if you are planning on doing substrate and decorations, imagine how painful that will be when something goes wrong and you have to troubleshoot it. I didn't like the under-gravel filters when they were popular for that very same reason.
Overall flow aside, IMO an FX6 isn't enough filtration for a 180 alone. I usually run 125 gallon tanks on an FX6 and an AC 110, so your 180 I'd be more inclined to either do (2) FX6 or an FX6 and (2) AC 110s. If you aren't interested in adding additional filtration overall, then I'd go the powerhead route and tweak the placement until you are pleased with the results. But, obviously completely up to you.
Either way, good luck and welcome!

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I currently have an FX6 on my 220gal and think it does not provide enough flow whatsoever as the output that comes with it diffuses the water to much IMO. For additional flow, I have a Koralia that does over 1k gph as well as an AquaClear 70 powerhead.

I recently picked up a second FX6 that I will be adding, however am in the works of making a hard-plumbed setup with 1" pvc for both filters. I'll be using single 3/4" outputs which should help increase flow and hopefully allow me to eliminate both the Koralia and powerhead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store