Fluval fx6 won't pump water

missiej2000

Feeder Fish
Jun 19, 2023
I know that it's primed, I hear it running, and nothing is stuck in the motor, I completely took it apart and reassembled it. It sounds like it's running, just no water is moving. What am I doing wrong?

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Not a lot of options, either it isn't actually primed, there's a clog somewhere, or the impeller or motor is buggered. Pull the tank end of the outlet house and run it into a bucket or out a door or something for a minute to rule out the first two.

Reactions: missiej2000

missiej2000

Feeder Fish
Jun 19, 2023
I solved the problem, but I don't know what I did. I completely disassembled the pump, put everything back in, primed it and now it's running like a dream. Thank you so much for the suggestions and advice. This is a wonderful forum for beginners.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Could have been one grain of sand or a juvie snail tightly wedged between the impeller and volute, I've had it happen many times.
All pump volutes and impellers need to be regularly rinsed out.
1687456145014.png
I once used play sand, and as you can see the impeller housing eroded away, from sand getting in the volute.
Once the housing wore away the impeller started to wobble, and it wore a figure 8 in the pump housing, I know it hard to see, but it's there.
Had to toss the entire pump.
1687456274537.png
Another time a grain of something got caught in the volute.
1687456513956.png1687456539159.png
At least with the one above, all I had to replace was the volute.
After a while, I started keeping an extra impeller, extra volute, and other random parts.

Reactions: missiej2000

missiej2000

Feeder Fish
Jun 19, 2023
Could have been one grain of sand or a juvie snail tightly wedged between the impeller and volute, I've had it happen many times.
All pump volutes and impellers need to be regularly rinsed out.
View attachment 1521102
I once used play sand, and as you can see the impeller housing eroded away, from sand getting in the volute.
Once the housing wore away the impeller started to wobble, and it wore a figure 8 in the pump housing, I know it hard to see, but it's there.
Had to toss the entire pump.
View attachment 1521103
Another time a grain of something got caught in the volute.
View attachment 1521104View attachment 1521105
At least with the one above, all I had to replace was the volute.
After a while, I started keeping an extra impeller, extra volute, and other random parts.
I have never used sand, and I don't have snails in the tank. I'm just grateful that it's running.

Fishyboy🐟🐟🐟

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2023
I know that it's primed, I hear it running, and nothing is stuck in the motor, I completely took it apart and reassembled it. It sounds like it's running, just no water is moving. What am I doing wrong?
Filters need to be filled at least halfway with water before starting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store