Fluval SEA SP6 vs. Danner 3600

PinoyBuckeye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2019
I'm getting closer to setting up my 400 gallon mbuna tank. I have some return pumps, but my Jebao 15000 has been sitting in its box, new, for over two years. I think I'm going to get new pumps. The pumps will also likely be running a couple of other small pieces of equipment.

I'm going to run two pumps and I'm looking at Mag Danner 36000 or Fluval SEA SP6. Does anyone have any insights on these pumps or even want to add anything else about any other pumps? The Fluvals seem like nice pumps at a pretty good price.

TIA400GallonStandComplete.jpg5001.jpg

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
I haven’t used the Fluval and I gave up on Mag Drives more than 10 years ago for two reasons; the amount of heat they produced and wattage they use. I’ve been running Jebao’s for almost 10 years. They move alot of water, virtually silent, no need for ball valves, and lower operating cost. Any reason to not use the DCP15000?

Reactions: PinoyBuckeye

PinoyBuckeye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2019
I haven’t used the Fluval and I gave up on Mag Drives more than 10 years ago for two reasons; the amount of heat they produced and wattage they use. I’ve been running Jebao’s for almost 10 years. They move alot of water, virtually silent, no need for ball valves, and lower operating cost. Any reason to not use the DCP15000?
It's just my bias against Chinese made products. I also have a used Fluval SP6 that came with the tank but I have no idea how old it is. I was just thinking about starting fresh with new pumps and either keeping the other two in reserve if one goes down or using them on my 220.

Reactions: HUKIT

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
I can absolutely relate to that as I try to pick my battles when it comes to supporting US made products. But, I’m typing this on my Ipad, IPhone, or MacBook so that would be a little hypocritical.

PinoyBuckeye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2019
100% I hear you about feeling like a hypocrite. I don't have nearly the same issue when it comes to buying Chinese made LEDs. However, I just have a different feeling about the heart of the system, the pumps. What's even funnier is that the irony of a poster named "PinoyBuckeye" crying about Chinese made products. But it's my wife who is Filipino, not me.

Reactions: HUKIT

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
It's just my bias against Chinese made products. I also have a used Fluval SP6 that came with the tank but I have no idea how old it is. I was just thinking about starting fresh with new pumps and either keeping the other two in reserve if one goes down or using them on my 220.
I run a simplicity dc pump and am very satisfied

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
The sp6 is a good pump, pushes a lot of water and reliable.

That being said, i use a number of jebao dc pumps on my tanks and find them superior. They are quieter, the controller offers better control over flow, and are more power efficient. Mine have been just as reliable as the fluval, ive had two dcp-10000s running for 5 years continuously with no change in performance. The jebao 15000 you have is a far superior pump to the sp6 imo.

The chinese do some things very well, some things not so much. In the case of budget, efficient, effective pumps they have impressed me.

PinoyBuckeye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2019
Okay HUKIT HUKIT & Backfromthedead Backfromthedead

Let's change the conversation. If I were to go with two Jebaos, what size would you go with. It's possible they'll be used to run some fluidized sand filters and a algae scrubber?

TIA

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Okay HUKIT HUKIT & Backfromthedead Backfromthedead

Let's change the conversation. If I were to go with two Jebaos, what size would you go with. It's possible they'll be used to run some fluidized sand filters and a algae scrubber?

TIA
I dont know much about those applications, sorry. I just use them for sump returns. But i will say the jebaos are very versatile in terms of flow rate--you can adjust them from 30%-100% power. So that 15000 you have is gonna run around ~1200gph at 0' head and no plumbing restrictions at lowest power and up to ~3500gph at 0' head on full power.

I find its best to run them on reduced power--reduces power consumption, noise, and waste heat significantly. So in other words plan to run the jebaos at around 50-70% for best results and lifespan. So if its me, i would just grab another 15000 to match the one you already have and dial them down to whatever flow rate you desire. On lower power they will use the same power as a smaller pump with same flow and possibly be quieter.

Its worth noting that the sp6 is equally as versatile, it just requires an inline valve to control the flow rate instead of the DC pump controller. Its not as exacting, but the pump will reduce power consumption as you dial down the flow. I sometimes use my sp6 in an old school powerhead-sponge filter configuration to quickly clear debris from tanks.

I'll also add that jebaos are not a good choice if you plan to run the pumps external to your sump. They do build up heat moreso than the higher quality dc pumps, and you will find in the instructions they are recommended for such use, so best to only use them on a sump internally.

Last edited:

HUKIT

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
Illinois
Are you looking to run a manifold or separate pumps for the sump and algae scrubber?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store