Freshwater snappers - Care?

AnomalocarisAquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
Here in Indonesia, most fishkeepers don't like brackish fish. They either keep fresh, or saltwater, no brackish. Because of this, most brackish fish (puffers, sleeper gobies, scats, monos, archers, etc.) have been bred in freshwater. Although, there exists a small community of fish breeders that breed usually saltwater fish into freshwater. Most of these fish (groupers, seabreams, and a few others) can survive in brackish water, which helps the process of transitioning these fish into freshwater. There is one such group of fishes I would like to keep though: Snappers. There are 2 main snappers I would like to keep, although both are extremely rare outside of Indonesia, this is why I am here making this post: to ask for a care guide. The first and more common snapper bred in freshwater is the Rusell's snapper (Lutjanus russellii). This is usually the fish sold under the Indonesian name "Kakap Tompel", although that name is basically just a nickname for snappers with black spots on their bodies. The second snapper is the Dory Snapper (Lutjanus fulviflamma). I've seen sources that say both fish can attain 35 centimeters (13.7 inches) at their maximum length. One source says the Dory snapper can grow up to 50 centimeters (19.6 inches). Any saltwater keepers who have kept any of these fish, please provide information on the 2. Also, there's another snapper I want to keep, which is the Checkered Snapper (Lutjanus decussatus), although that snapper isn't fully freshwater, it still needs a salinity of 1.005. Any information on the Russell or Dory will be helpful, even the Checkered if you've kept it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Here in Indonesia, most fishkeepers don't like brackish fish. They either keep fresh, or saltwater, no brackish. Because of this, most brackish fish (puffers, sleeper gobies, scats, monos, archers, etc.) have been bred in freshwater. Although, there exists a small community of fish breeders that breed usually saltwater fish into freshwater. Most of these fish (groupers, seabreams, and a few others) can survive in brackish water, which helps the process of transitioning these fish into freshwater. There is one such group of fishes I would like to keep though: Snappers. There are 2 main snappers I would like to keep, although both are extremely rare outside of Indonesia, this is why I am here making this post: to ask for a care guide. The first and more common snapper bred in freshwater is the Rusell's snapper (Lutjanus russellii). This is usually the fish sold under the Indonesian name "Kakap Tompel", although that name is basically just a nickname for snappers with black spots on their bodies. The second snapper is the Dory Snapper (Lutjanus fulviflamma). I've seen sources that say both fish can attain 35 centimeters (13.7 inches) at their maximum length. One source says the Dory snapper can grow up to 50 centimeters (19.6 inches). Any saltwater keepers who have kept any of these fish, please provide information on the 2. Also, there's another snapper I want to keep, which is the Checkered Snapper (Lutjanus decussatus), although that snapper isn't fully freshwater, it still needs a salinity of 1.005. Any information on the Russell or Dory will be helpful, even the Checkered if you've kept it.
Berts46ers Berts46ers

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Berts46ers Berts46ers
I have not kept any of the particular species that you are looking at but currently have a Mangrove Jack (lutjanus argentimaculatus).
Same family so I would imagine very similar care needed.

My thoughts on the freshwater/brackish/marine discussion with these species is that they are mostly always found in some sort of brackish or marine environment. Yes they can survive in full fresh water and many people have had great success keeping them in full fresh, but the majority of them caught in the wild are in brackish or full marine conditions. They obviously enjoy being in salt water.

So I keep my Jack in brackish water as I feel the fish would prefer it over full fresh. Sg 1.005 to 1.008, and he seems to be thriving. If he ever rips a fin or loses a scale tearing around the tank, he heals within a couple of days to a week.
You don’t need a protein skimmer at this level of salinity, and water changes are still easy, just mix up required level of salt in a couple of buckets and add to tank at the same time the fresh water is going in. So not much more work then full fresh.

In general, they are a pretty hardy fish with not much special care required. Routine water changes keeps water parameters good, decent flow to maintain high oxygen levels in water, and large size tank as they mature.
Probably going to be quite aggressive also, so may need to be a solo fish in the tank.

I am no expert, just my 2 cents…

IMG_3897.jpeg

AnomalocarisAquatics

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2024
I have not kept any of the particular species that you are looking at but currently have a Mangrove Jack (lutjanus argentimaculatus).
Same family so I would imagine very similar care needed.
Thanks for the information. MJs can grow much larger than the species I mentioned though. Could you provide a tank size for your MJ so I could figure out the tank size for the species I want? Or is it in a growout considering how large they grow?

Reactions: Berts46ers

Berts46ers

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Thanks for the information. MJs can grow much larger than the species I mentioned though. Could you provide a tank size for your MJ so I could figure out the tank size for the species I want? Or is it in a growout considering how large they grow?
I had my Jack in a 125 gallon grow out from when I got him at 2” nearly 2 years ago until just a week ago.
New tank is 8ft x 4ft x 32”. With sump is about 600 gallon.
He should have went in a larger tank a lot sooner, but the builder took about 10 months to fulfill my order…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store