Freshwater stingrays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Tampa, FL
I heard that freshwater stingrays are illegal to own in the state of Florida? Is this true and if so are there any that aren't illegal in FL? Which ones are the smallest of the ray family. I have a 100gal that is 18.5"w I am trying to get a smaller sized one so that I'll have some time before I get a larger tank.

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
unfortunatly, they are all illegal in Florida.

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
i think its the st johns river, you can find freshwater rays in florida. they are actually the same species as one of the marine stingrays also common to Florida coasts but it lives in freshwater.

fig

Feeder Fish
Mar 8, 2008
oklahoma
are there any stingrays legal in oklahoma?
i have seen pages on the web that stingrays were illegal in Oklahoma... but a pet store in a nearby town sells saltwater rays. i can never get over there when they have one in stock, and no one can tell me much about it over the phone. do the saltwater rays get too big? i have a 55 gal tank... empty. i am looking for a teacup ray, but everything i pull up on the web says they are illegal. should i just let the rays go and forget about them? :stingray:

Rosewood022

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
Troy, MI
Freshwater rays are illegal in Florida (except native ones from the St. John's river, as stated above).

Oklahoma is also a prohibited state. Salt rays are likely legal in stores as there is no concern on them being dumped into a river or lake and surviving, unlike freshwater rays. So to answer your question, forget the teacup. A 55 gal would be too small for an adult anyway. There are some small species of saltwater rays (Cortez Ray comes to mind) that won't get much bigger than 12" across, but they should have at least at 120 gallon (4 x 2 x 2) tank.

Pat

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There are lists in the FAQ forum (stickys) of restricted fish species listed by state.

BTW, Georgia has all FW rays on their restricted species list and requires licensing and permit insurance to keep them in the state. There are requirements to meet in obtaining the license that are difficult to achieve for other than public/research aquariums.

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Daly City/San Francisco, CA
All Freshwater Stingrays are Illegal in the State of Florida. The only Ray you can keep that lives in Freshwater/Saltwater is the Atlantic Stingray. Some live their entire lives in the St. Johns River in Florida. And most live in the Ocean which is Salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store