Frozen Nightcrawlers?

Wigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Maryland
So I went fishing the other day, and had several nightcrawlers left over, so I froze them. I haven't fed them to my bichir yet, because I wanted to know if it would be okay for him to eat them. I don't want him to get sick or anything, so I wanted to ask you guys first. :)

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
defrost one and see what it looks like

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
that it looks like a worm and some kind of gross soup from the ruptured cells
that often occurs during freezing

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Next time keep them in the fridge if possible after the fishing trip. Most poly's go crazy after night crawlers. Having some experiance with worms ice fishing, I think when they are thawed they will be less than appealing.

Wigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Maryland
Well my senegal is only about 3" long. I don't think he can handle a full grown nightcrawler thrashing around in his face, but who knows? I'll check them and see if they look like worms. Thanks!

Wigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Maryland
I think the worms were too dirty and gross, I didn't want that in my tank. So I fed him a small cube of orange roughy. He deathrolled it and ate his fill, and the cichlids finished it off. ;)

meghanashley

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
NJ
I agree eartworms do not defrost well. insect larve as long as they aren't keep in the freezer for too long are fine upon defrosting. Earthworms turn to goop internally

JakeH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2009
Houston, TX
Would live nightcrawlers from the bait shop be ok? No parasites or anything, right? They are bright green, so they have to be commercially bred...I would think...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store