FX6 Filter with indoor stock tank

WMitchell

Feeder Fish
Sep 10, 2024
I have a 150 gallon stock tank with an FX6 filter. The canister sits above the waterline and unfortunately cavitates when the outlet is fully opened. Raising the tank is not an option I want to explore. Has anyone augmented an FX6 with a return pump? Have other suggestions to prevent air in the system or have another filter option that is equally effective and quiet? The pond houses a dwarf caiman.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Having the fx6 on the floor next to the stock tank may result in less cavitation, but I don’t know if it will eliminate it. Fluval and most other canisters recommend placing below the tank but it is clear how it is not possible in your situation. Perhaps others have useful suggestions.

fishdance

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Just turn off the canister motor and use a separate submerged pump to push water through. So your only using the canister to hold media.

Another option is to put your submerged pump into a 5 gallon bucket buried under gravel/media with a short hose on output then put the bucket into the tank to create an underwater canister. You have to lift full bucket out to clean though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store