Gar regurgitates pellets.

FooseMucker

Feeder Fish
Aug 13, 2024
I have been trying for the past week to transition my spotted gar to pellets. When he finally ate some everything seemed to be going well. Hours later I noticed he had regurgitated all 4 carni sticks that he ate. Now he has stopped eating them. I try to wiggle them with a fishing leader, he usually snaps at the pellet but does not try to eat it. What should I do?

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I have been trying for the past week to transition my spotted gar to pellets. When he finally ate some everything seemed to be going well. Hours later I noticed he had regurgitated all 4 carni sticks that he ate. Now he has stopped eating them. I try to wiggle them with a fishing leader, he usually snaps at the pellet but does not try to eat it. What should I do?
What are the water parameters and tank size? Also, are there any tankmates who may be harassing it?
Hao Hao
tlindsey tlindsey

FooseMucker

Feeder Fish
Aug 13, 2024
What are the water parameters and tank size? Also, are there any tankmates who may be harassing it?
Hao Hao
tlindsey tlindsey
It is 12 inches in a 125 gallon. No tankmates.

Water is at 0 amm and 0 nitrite

Temp at 25C and aquarium lights are off when feeding.

Reactions: AR1

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
It is 12 inches in a 125 gallon. No tankmates.

Water is at 0 amm and 0 nitrite

Temp at 25C and aquarium lights are off when feeding.
I wouldn't be too worried since the gar is large and they can go weeks and even months without eating. It may require further time for it to adjust to eating pellets.
However if you are still worried, then try feeding it raw shrimps, prawns, etc chopped into small pieces or small insects like night crawlers, worms,etc.
Try dropping the food at its snout. Also feed when lights are on since gars rely more on their vision than smell, unlike catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store