Gender Dimorphism in Pterygoplichthys scrophus

Dreamsing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas
I've got a Rhino Pleco (Pterygoplichthys scrophus) and I'm wanting to know how to tell if it is male or female. So far I've had no luck hunting on my own so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how to tell a difference without disecting my precious fish. Needless to say, I don't want to know that much.

What should I look for? I can get pictures if anyone wants to help me figure it out.

Thanks

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
As with all Pterygoplichthys there is no easy way to sex them. I suppose common rules apply. Females tend to be fatter then males. Also like other Pterygoplichthys, the Rhinos need mud ponds for breeding, so sexing is for the most part pointless in a glass tank

Dreamsing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas
I'm mostly just curious. It's a decently plump fish, but then again it is the only rhino I've seen in real life so I've nothing to compare it to. There are really no external characteristics to distinguish males from females?

Greez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Ilinois
I cant help but I would like to see some pics :)

Greez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Ilinois
:) very cool, I saw one of those at my LFS and wondered what kind it was ;)

Thanks for posting, GL on finding out about its sex.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Very nice Rhino pleco.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
To me it looks female. Some plecos that have a short body from the dorsal to the tail are sexed this way. Just a guess though but a very nice specimen you have there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store