Geophagus megasema for bichir tank

Kikokuryu

Feeder Fish
Sep 13, 2022
Hello,

I was planning on adding fish to either my empty (2'x2'x9') or (2'x2'x7'), maybe the latter. But I'm not super familiar with cichlids, but liked the earth eater cichlids for a tank primarily for upper jaw bichir around 13-15".

The temperature I was thinking between 24-26C (75-78F). The sand used is #2-/16 Lapis Lustre Sand from Cemex. I might have finer sand somewhere, but that's what currently in the tank.

The Geophagus species that seemed to match the temperature seems to be G. megasema. But I'm down with anything that might be a better match. Wasn't entirely sure about aggression, but preferable I want a species that isn't going excessively aggressive; though, I am aware all cichlids do have some level of aggression and conflict to some degree is unavoidable.

Another issue is that I cannot really tell any of them apart, especially small juveniles. Is there any problems with G. megasema being misidentified. And are there easy ways to tell them apart. I've seen some being sold in various places as well as some listing on eBay, but I wanted to make sure it's generally fine to buy them. I don't want to accidentally buy something different and all of them dropping dead because the temperature or something was wrong. Or are they indistinguishable at smaller sizes and it's mostly just trusting the dealer.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The most significant difference in tank preference between Bichirs, and Geophagines, is the Bichirs prefer placid low flow situations, and don't require highly oxygenated water, whereas most Geophagus need highly oxygenated water with moderate to high flow.
You could achieve this by providing separate zones in the tank, with a powerhead of sorts on one end creating water movement the Geo's need, and slack water on the other end.
While Nitrate is not a problem for Bichirs, G megasema comes from water where nitrate averages 1 ppm or less, so to thrive, these cichlids need lots of water changes to remain healthy .
Both Bichirs and Amazon Basin Geo's prefer soft low mineral content water.
One of the most distinguishing features of G megasema is the large mid lateral spot, it is larger larger than most other Geo's of the area.
Other than that, ID confusion is quite common among the "Amazon basin" Geo's, but they all require thee same basic care.

Reactions: Kikokuryu

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I don’t know what country you’re in, but in the US megasema is extremely rare. This is because they’re from Bolivia, and only a handful of exports have been sent, mostly to Europe. Wild fish from Bolivia are not exported here. We’re lucky if juveniles of tank-bred megasema get sent from Europe to the US. The only reputable person I know who’s listed them is Kevin @ Tangled Up In Cichlids. Most people I’ve seen selling megasema just have G. pyrocephalus aka Red Head Tapajos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store