Geophagus species question

Fishbreeder2122

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2023
I’ve been keeping fish for a long time but never Geo’s. Was wondering (because I know they like groups) is it possible to put multiple single species into a tank together? Into a group of about six? I would make sure they all about the same in temperament, just don’t wanna put in a bunch of research if it can’t be done. Just thought it would be a very cool looking tank

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I’ve been keeping fish for a long time but never Geo’s. Was wondering (because I know they like groups) is it possible to put multiple single species into a tank together? Into a group of about six? I would make sure they all about the same in temperament, just don’t wanna put in a bunch of research if it can’t be done. Just thought it would be a very cool looking tank
Welcome aboard
is it possible to put multiple single species into a tank together? Into a group of about six?
Yes very possible but would definitely depend on aquarium size and species of Geophagus.

Reactions: Fishbreeder2122

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Welcome aboard

Yes very possible but would definitely depend on aquarium size and species of Geophagus.
If you meant one single fish from each species it can be done but most Geophagus like to be in groups of their own kind.
Also some Geophagus have different water requirements some thrive better in soft and a few actually come from a higher ph environment.

Reactions: Fishbreeder2122

Fishbreeder2122

Feeder Fish
Mar 1, 2023
If you meant one single fish from each species it can be done but most Geophagus like to be in groups of their own kind.
Also some Geophagus have different water requirements some thrive better in soft and a few actually come from a higher ph environment.
Thank You, I would definitely make sure to research what water and temperament is like for each each species. A follow up question, would it be better if I got them all very young (about an inch or smaller) or would it matter if I just put adults/subadults in at once?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
what looks best to me is a group of one spieces. A group of Tapajos, or a group of Sveni, alone in a well lit tank looks incredible.
I agree and prefer this too, as opposed to a hodgepodge of separate species.
As a rule I never keep more than one species of a genus in the same cichlid tank.
And many of what are now considered separate species, used to be just location, or river variants, one might worry about inbreeding, and the producion of unidentifiable mutts.
The difference between species can be slight, just a larger mid body spot, or streaks as opposed to spots in the caudal.

And there is also difference in geographical climactic variants.
Those like the red hump group, from west of the Andes, that would prefer different water parameters, like more alkalinity slightly cooler temps, and can be quite a bit more aggressive than their amazon basin counterparts.
Even within the amazonian group, some prefer quite different flow rates, from rapids to more still waters.
Guide to Amazonian Eartheaters - nearly all Geophagus specieshttps://www.youtube.com › watch
Then there are the Geos and Gymnos from southern Brazil , and southern S American countries that require varying climatic conditions with cool downs to maintain good health and colors.
As an example
I would never keep any of the Geophagus altifrons group with Gymnogeophagus balzani.
1677765092196.png1677765048152.png

The only generic across the board Geo lines, are that most require a minimum 6 ft tank, to maintain health and a copasetic group (except some of the smaller ) Gymnogeophagus.

Reactions: tlindsey

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
You can certainly mix some geo species, but I agree that doing a group of a nice species looks better and more impressive than a la carte geos-- one of these, two of those-- which works sometimes but not always. It's also next level in terms of observing behavior and social interactions, you learn more about the species vs being part of a hodgepodge group. In a large enough tank, groups of more than one species (or a pair of one, group of another) can look good. Ime adult geo pairs tend to be quite content without a species group and in some species the pair will do less fussing around that way.

It's rare for geos to hybridize between species, though you certainly, absolutely, categorically, would not want it! Of the very few cases I've seen, pyrocephalus (former red head tapajos) have been involved.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
The only generic across the board Geo lines, are that most require a minimum 6 ft tank, to maintain health and a copasetic group (except some of the smaller ) Gymnogeophagus.
Do you know the temperament of Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys? Had some gymno rhabdotus and they were nasty. Hoping the gymnogenys is more laid back

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have kept 2 species from the gymnogenys group, sp. Rio Yerbalito, and sp.Paso Pache.
Never experienced aggression problems with either.
I never used tanks for a group, any smaller than 6 ft , and only kept one species of the genus per tank..
The groups were always 1 male, to at least 3 females, and if a female was holding, she'd get her own tank.
I never used heaters in their tanks, just going with room temp.
1677790981936.png1677790492087.png1677790889063.png
Above are species "Paso Pache'
Inside they were held in a 125, using Mexican high altitude live bearers as dithers fish, they were also kept outside in a 300 gal rubbermaid where they spawned.
Below species Rio Yerbaito, kept in a 125, but female moved to a 50gal when holding
1677791168070.png1677791318335.png
They were also kept in a pond spring thru fall, brought into a 400 gal kiddy pool in winter
1677791658042.png1677791517296.png
I did keep a group of Rio Yerbaito in a 125 Uruguayan cichlid community tank, with Australoheros "red Ceibal, and the Uruguayan pike cichlid variant of
, Crenicichla saxatillis. It was on a north wall, with no heater.

1677791861103.png1677791818496.png1677792080208.png
When brought in after a summer outside in the fall colors were quite striking.
Male left, female right.
1677792338348.png1677792405457.png

1677790889063.png

1677791318335.png

1677791893074.png

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store