Giant Gourami Growth Rate?

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
Hey MFK, i have a question, i recently just purchased a Giant Gourami, Labeled as "Osphronemus Gourami" and its been about 2-3 weeks and i haven't noticed any growth, i feed romaine lettuce, tropical flakes, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, and shrimp pellets. & on different days, freeze dried bloodworms, freeze dried tubifex worms & freeze dried brine shrimp and also, shrimp pellets. Am i doing something wrong or just being impatient? haha, he's about 2-3" and growing out in a 55 gal. tank. if anyone has any info on these or goeth rate or anything, it will be much appreciated, let me know! thanks everyone!

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
2" a month or so if kept in good water and fed well. No need to feed bloodworms, tubifex worms etc as they will eat anything and there are a lot more nutritious options. I've kept several over the years. I love them for their interaction and the fact that they eat whatever offered. Just be careful with tank mates after they get 12" or so as they normally start to show aggression.

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
It will be 12" before you know it just a 4-5 months. Floating pellets are a good staple but they also enjoy fruits and veggies as well as shrimp and tilapia. Post a pic of your little guy.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Giant gouramis are on my short list of fish I love but will probably never keep. Intelligent, easy to care for, quite interesting looking, and laid back. Unfortunately, there are numerous posts of them being calm and cool until they go postal on their tank mates. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?53820-GIANT-gouramis

Of course, not everyone has that experience, but it gives me pause as to how I'd feel if that happened. Anyway, if you're prepared to keep it solo, or prepared to put it in a community tank and won't spaz if it makes the whole tank solo for you, I think you'll be pleased. Don't get me wrong, if I was looking for a solo tank, I admit this is one of 3 or 4 that I'd have no doubt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store