Giant Gourami won't eat?

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
Hi all, I have had a 6cm Grey Giant Gourami for about 3 days now and am yet to see it eat. It's in with an Ompok bimaculatus and a Senegal Bichir in a 5'x2'x2'. I have offered frozen bloodworm, flake food, shrimp pellet and sinking carnivore pellets, but he just doesn't seem to be interested in eating. Both other fish are feeding fine. Will the GG eventually start feeding?

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
I have added a couple of bunches of Vallisneria, which the GG will graze on, but he still won't eat anything else.

wwcnjc04

Feeder Fish
Dec 1, 2007
Graham, WA
cr8on;1311410;1311410 said:
Hi all, I have had a 6cm Grey Giant Gourami for about 3 days now and am yet to see it eat. It's in with an Ompok bimaculatus and a Senegal Bichir in a 5'x2'x2'. I have offered frozen bloodworm, flake food, shrimp pellet and sinking carnivore pellets, but he just doesn't seem to be interested in eating. Both other fish are feeding fine. Will the GG eventually start feeding?
I feed my gourami BEEF HEART! You gotta make sure you cut away ALL the fat!

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
cr8on;1311410; said:
how is he acting other than not eating? he may still just be settling in since its only been a few days. they are pretty hardy fish, but check your water params just to be safe.

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
He was acting extremely shy, hiding behind an internal filter and the heater, but in the last day, he's become a lot less shy, and now swims around the whole tank. What worries me is that I bought a another Giant Gourami about two weeks ago which died after a week, and I really don't want to lose another one.

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
He ate some frozen bloodworms today but spat most of them out, but he seems quite happy nibbling at the plants.

cr8on

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
I just fed some flakes, he took some but spat them out, now he is foraging through the gravel, looking for food. He definitely doesn't seem keen on meaty foods, like bloodworms. Should I try feeding him fruit / vegetables? What sorts do you suggest?

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Try feeding a little amount of bread or soft cheese, personal favorites of our GG. When he's in a bit of a mood he always eats these..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store