Gold diamond rhom or black mask elongatus

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Wassup fellow mfk member's had a quick question, which serrasalmus would you prefer, i have space but i have to pick one or the other. the fish i already have are a Blue diamond rhom and a purple sanchezi. which one would you get out of the two species the GDR, or the BM Elong, and say why

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
If I had a 75g or bigger to start I would go with a BM elong. You've already got a rhom. I like the idea of collecting different species. Ideally I would like to keep at least one of each serra, but it's a lot of tanks.

I think the BM elongs are cool looking. I think they look cooler than GDRs. They're also more aggressive, and they hunt by speed and ambush rather than lurking and stealth.

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
Diogenes, stop giving me ideas. lol

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
caribemob;3020179; said:
my tank to start with will be a 55 gal long, both those serra's right now are 4'' but i dont know which one to get
since you already have a rhom, get the elong for a change.

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
I don't think I've ever seen a black mask elong before and the pic on AS's website is broken. do you have pics of regular elong vs black mask elong for comparison? can you tell rather they are regular elong or black mask elong at small size?

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
i regular elong's have a straight silver body with a black humeral spot that comes at around 6'' and the black mask elong have black spotted faces and sometimes have different color fins like red and yellow, im not totally sure though. i got nate trying to find me one, i know shark aquarium has a elong but G won't answer my emails to ask him which one it is

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
jp80911;3020247; said:
I don't think I've ever seen a black mask elong before and the pic on AS's website is broken. do you have pics of regular elong vs black mask elong for comparison? can you tell rather they are regular elong or black mask elong at small size?

I think I've seen one in person too. The LFS had one a while back. Cool looking fish. I think the elong is awesome. I've never seen a really big one though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store