Green terror and Texas blue?

cichlidtank18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2018
I was told this was an electric blue Texas Cichlid. The other is green terror? Is this correct?

2F5470A0-888A-4A06-B0D5-6E4F62BCDE12.jpeg 5688D26C-C1E1-4962-892A-687E93CD2D4B.jpeg 642518ED-49F9-4925-A640-5FD057C42BED.jpeg 4E9B809E-8208-4CD7-A7DE-2D9C4C5E3BCF.jpeg DF6E4FC7-A566-4FA3-B6B3-55F9DB48CF2C.jpeg AE65F23B-218E-47F6-84C3-C2262E6804DA.jpeg EB5EF6A9-4B6C-4212-875C-EB771BCDBD6B.jpeg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
The first fish looks to be a very nice Pearl Scale Carpintis. The second fish looks to be a male Rivulatus, Green Terror.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The term "Electric Blue Texas" is a name made up, to make Herichthys carpintus more sellable when young, and when not as colorful as it will become, basically a marketing tool.
It is Herichthys carpintus, and isn't from Texas.
There are many catch location variants, Rio Hondo, Escondido, Chairel, etc etc some locations are 10 or less miles from the other. Each may (or may not) have slightly different color variations.
Below is an adult Herichthys carpintus "location Chairel".

If your tank is 6ft long or larger, the GT and Herichthys may share it without incident. If the tank is smaller, when mature at about 12", territorial issues may arrive, if the Herichthys is a male, and it will probably turn the GT into fish-burger.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I agree with duanes on the ID and recommendation of tank size. The fish you have will need quite a large tank to live together peacefully. I also notice the tank looks very cloudy and contains feeder goldfish, might recommend a more strict water change schedule, and also advise that feeding goldfish to your fish is very risky; any disease or parasite that the goldfish have (and most of the feeders do) your fish are exposed to.

Reactions: Jexnell

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
After reading Gourami Swamis answer, I noticed the feeders, and the Oscar (did I ? see correctly).
Now I believe appropriate tank size will become even more important as times goes by.
And agree about goldfish (especially those sold as feeders), that can bring in many diseases, and are not really appropriate as nutrition for your fish.
None of the 3 cichlids are actually piscivores (fish eaters) and although they won't ever turn down a high protein meal, they are actually omnivores feeding on insects, aquatic insect larvae, grazing algae and detritus as a normal diet in nature.
So a high nutrition pellet is much better than disease riddled feeder goldfish.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
After reading Gourami Swamis answer, I noticed the feeders, and the Oscar (did I ? see correctly).
Now I believe appropriate tank size will become even more important as times goes by.
And agree about goldfish (especially those sold as feeders), that can bring in many diseases, and are not really appropriate as nutrition for your fish.
None of the 3 cichlids are actually piscivores (fish eaters) and although they won't ever turn down a high protein meal, they are actually omnivores feeding on insects, aquatic insect larvae, grazing algae and detritus as a normal diet in nature.
So a high nutrition pellet is much better than disease riddled feeder goldfish.
Thought the same thing re: looks like an Oscar behind the GT in one of the photos. Agree on feeding also (assuming that's a feeder goldfish and not something else), but whatever you're feeding, looks like the fish have bulging bellies and for me I'd consider that overfed by that stage in their development. Study In aquaculture science has found there's an optimum total feed and protein intake and when it's exceeded fish actually grow slower. So I adjust accordingly, I don't let them get bulging bellies or an over-rounded body profile (except disc shaped or naturally rounded fish, of course). Better for the fish and I've gotten good growth over the years following this rule. Not intending to beat on this, just a thought to consider.

As far as cloudy water, could be more than one reason, is it a recently set up tank?

...Have to say, carpintis photos I keep seeing are making an impression on me, never thought much about them in past years and they won't work with what I'm doing right now, but might have to get one someday. :)

Reactions: Jexnell

cichlidtank18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2018
Thanks guys. The water is cloudy because I’m medicating the tank. I have a convict in there and it seems as though he has parasites. A white stringy poop or parasite. So I’m medicating the whole tank to keep the other fish from getting it. I don’t be really plan on keeping them all together. I’ll eventually move them to another 55g. The GT and my juvenile Dovii. I’m also getting a 180g next month for the Dovii and maybe the GT if the Dovii will allow it. So in all, I’ll have two 55g tanks and a 180g. That should work out, right? I agree with the feeders. Won’t be getting anymore. I think they were the culprit of my fish getting sick. I have one more 48hr treatment to do to the tank before I can change the water. I’ll be treating it again tonight. So the water will be changed Saturday.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Did not see the dovii, that throws quite a wrench in the mix. There is some debate on tank size for a dovii, but most agree that a fully grown male would need a bigger tank than a 180 gallon. And if you were to keep it in the 180 gallon, chances that it would allow anything else after a while are very, very slim. Then, you have an Oscar, carpintis, and green terror, all of which get too large to live in a 55 gallon tank. The reasoning being, that the 55 is only 12" wide, and the Oscar can exceed that size, carpintis and GT can (hypothetically) grow to 12". Some would say the GT or carpintis alone in a 55 is ok for lie; this is not my opinion, but is debatable.
My recommendation would be to sell the dovii, then keep the Oscar GT and carpintis in the 180. You may have some trouble with the carpintis being more aggressive than the SA cichlids when large; or it may be fine. Then your convict can stay in a 55 with some other fish.
BTW, not trying to be negative or rain on your parade here, just offering my insight on the situation. Wish you the best of luck with the fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
In my opinion, none of the tanks the OP mentioned are large enough for a dovii, I have seen a few dovii do OK in a 500 gal, but 1000 is probably more right.
The 55s are too small for a male carpintus, or an oscar lone residents as adults.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store