has anyone kept Dichotomyctere Nigroviridis in freshwater?

professorjimjam

Dovii
MFK Member
May 26, 2021
A friend of mine bought 3 of Dichotomyctere Nigroviridis and he is keeping them in freshwater. I told him these species require salinity in the water. but he says, these species were caught in freshwater and they are 4 cm each.

Can anyone share experience, if these puffers can live in the freshwater and for how long. if he has to make the water salty, he says can he add some spoon of salt in the water and make it salty? but i told him that it is not possible, becuase a salty water tank is different and simply adding salt to the water doesnt make a marine tank.

Appreciate your experiance. he does not speak english, so I am writing this on his behalf.

thanks.

Reactions: tlindsey and AR1

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
I see a lot of them over hear in freshwater tanks. Never kept them myself (not too keen on puffers).

There seems to be a general myth where so many Asian fish, especially Thai fish are listed on many sites as brackish, and are in fact really freshwater. This might apply to those puffers, but I do not really know.

Kayden

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2018
Arkansas
They start fresh and eventually transition to brackish or full salt to live a healthy, long life.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I haven’t personally kept them, but much like many brackish fish they will require high brackish to full salt with maturity. They honestly are better suited for a reef tank than most fw setups (minus being hyper aggressive and coral eaters).
It will survive in fw for a bit, but only for a fraction of its natural lifespan.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thank you guys! That is why it is cheaper than the other puffers
Price is more of how common they are. I would say that they are the most commonly kept puffer behind dwarf puffers (they may even have them beat).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store