Help a newbie cycle his tank

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
Hi y'all! I'm trying to instant cycle my tank. With that, I was wondering if someone is willing to give me some of their filter media squeeze water. Basically, I'm looking for free nitrifying bacteria. I'm impatient and would rather do it this way than wait 5 weeks or so. I'm also going to use an additive like API Quick Start or something similar. I've done the dump aged pee in the tank and fishless (ammonia) method before and it just takes too long. I want instant gratification. I'm from La Mirada 90638 and work in City of Industry 91746 and willing to drive a little bit.

Thanks!

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
If you strike out, this is what I did when I was getting back into the hobby last year. I, like you, was impatient and didn't want to wait 5 weeks. This did exactly what I wanted it to do and is 100% guaranteed not to bring anything nasty with it (which is nice when starting from scratch).
http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm
What a great resource! This is awesome.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I was wondering if someone is willing to give me some of their filter media squeeze water
Hello; First I do not think this will help much. The understanding with growing consensus is beneficial bacteria (bb) form a biofilm on surfaces. This film is being understood to cling pretty stubbornly to the hard surface. My guess based on this understanding is even the water squeezed from old filter media will not have a large amount of the bb.
In addition you will be getting a lot of trapped detritus which is what I have filter media in place tp remove. I do not wish to add this stuff to my new tank set up.

free nitrifying bacteria
Hello; Perhaps you can talk someone into giving you some actual filter media, some substrate or other solid surface from an established tank. You can go to a fish shop and buy some snails, live plants or other solid things from an established tank.

Hello; One more thought. Even if you get a population of the bb it may not be "instant" in terms of the fish you may put in a tank. I am driving at the dynamic balance between the bb and the biomass of the animal population. This time to come into balance will be quicker if you start with a bb loaded material but might still take a few days.

Good luck

Reactions: J. H.

arkmann

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2007
If you strike out, this is what I did when I was getting back into the hobby last year. I, like you, was impatient and didn't want to wait 5 weeks. This did exactly what I wanted it to do and is 100% guaranteed not to bring anything nasty with it (which is nice when starting from scratch).
http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm

Thanks for the link! I think I will just go that route. I’m suppose to have fish in the tank or fish food will do? He mentioned problems with fishless cycling but he didn’t mention having fish with the clear water

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Thanks for the link! I think I will just go that route. I’m suppose to have fish in the tank or fish food will do? He mentioned problems with fishless cycling but he didn’t mention having fish with the clear water
Going this route you could add a few smaller fish right away and that will keep the BB fed for you. If you don’t have fish when it arrives, you could toss fish food in if you wanted, but I always feed my cycling media with 100% ammonia. Cleaner, doesn’t make water nasty like rotting fish food, and better than buying fish you don’t intend to keep.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Uuuhhhhh......I think this is all just asking for trouble.

Why don't you just go to the fish store, buy some real tough fish, just a few, and put them in the tank. They'll probably make it. I know a guy who's been keeping tanks for years, started several new tanks over the years for various reasons, and he's never cycled a tank. He just puts fish in it, water changes a little more often than usual for the first few weeks, and his fish live through it.

Buy some Comets. Or some Convicts. Convicts would be great because they're tough, and you can keep them forever if they don't beat up the other fish you add later after the cycle.

"Nothing good happens fast in a fish tank"

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
I know a guy who's been keeping tanks for years, started several new tanks over the years for various reasons, and he's never cycled a tank. He just puts fish in it, water changes a little more often than usual for the first few weeks, and his fish live through it.

"Nothing good happens fast in a fish tank"
He still "cycled" the tank, he just did it with fish. The sponge filter I referenced is a fully cycled filter. Basically the same as most of us here that start new tanks using media from another tank, except this one is cleaner and won't bring stuff over.
I just tossed it out as an option, whether he goes that route or not. I've used their stuff and been VERY pleased with the immediate results and avoided constant water changes for 4+ weeks to keep fish alive that I didn't intend on keeping.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store