Help collecting native fish

PonderInSTL

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2024
Hi all.

TL/dr: Anyone interested in helping me collect sunfish/darters/other natives in the Saint Louis area, for my pond?

I have a pond in my yard that I'd like to add native fish to. Darters, longear or redder sunfish, that sort of stuff. Maybe a small cat. I could buy them on-line, but it'd be a lot more fun to collect them myself. And they'd probably be more winter-hardy than the tank-raised ones that I could buy. If I wonder about on my own, not sure I'd come up with much more than
mosquito larvae. Are any of you collectors or folks who just know where the fish are, who'd be willing to help out a newbie? I'm not looking for a professional fishing guide, just someone who knows the streams and where the interesting fish are. Ideally in the Saint Louis metro area, but I'd happily go further afield, 50 miles or more, if that'll get me more interesting fish.

I'm also happy to hear thoughts from folks other than potential guides -- other species I should consider, whether trying to collect myself is not a good idea and I should stick to buying from a pet store, or anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks!

larry

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all.

TL/dr: Anyone interested in helping me collect sunfish/darters/other natives in the Saint Louis area, for my pond?

I have a pond in my yard that I'd like to add native fish to. Darters, longear or redder sunfish, that sort of stuff. Maybe a small cat. I could buy them on-line, but it'd be a lot more fun to collect them myself. And they'd probably be more winter-hardy than the tank-raised ones that I could buy. If I wonder about on my own, not sure I'd come up with much more than
mosquito larvae. Are any of you collectors or folks who just know where the fish are, who'd be willing to help out a newbie? I'm not looking for a professional fishing guide, just someone who knows the streams and where the interesting fish are. Ideally in the Saint Louis metro area, but I'd happily go further afield, 50 miles or more, if that'll get me more interesting fish.

I'm also happy to hear thoughts from folks other than potential guides -- other species I should consider, whether trying to collect myself is not a good idea and I should stick to buying from a pet store, or anything else that comes to mind.

Thanks!

larry
Welcome aboard

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You may want to get in contanct with your local fish club or NANFA to see whats availble in your area , and see about local regulations,
My local club used to organize collecting trips trips for fish and plants.

I collect often where I live, and have aquired a small array of gear to make things go smoothly.
,IMG_3958.jpegIMG_2952.jpeg
IMG_2463.jpeg

PonderInSTL

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2024
Impressive collection! Seems like lots of fun.

I was not aware of NANFA (north American native fish association). That's a great lead; I'll look around more on their site and see what I found. Thanks!!

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store