Help! My rope is dying!

Jbean_88

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2017
I have a senior rope fish (I've had her for 10 years, no idea how old she was when I got her) who is suffering! I pulled her out of my 55 that I just finished a salt/heat treatment for ich in. As of last night, around midnight, she's been lethargic and when she does swim she's without direction. Her gills are a little red and her breathing is labored. She's scarred from a previous bacterial infection so it's hard to see if she's got any new symptoms (aside from attitude). I don't even know where to start with her and am worried about her age.
Tank parameters are as follows:
Ph- 8 (I've been gradually lowering it, we have really hard water and the. tank was 8.6)
Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 0-5 ppm (hard to be absolute)
Nitrites- 0
Temp- 84°
*tested with API freshwater test kit

Tank has been established since December (We did a tank shuffle after moving and she was moved from the 55, to a 29, to a 10, and back to the 55. Slinky, the rope, was the only inhabitant until March when we added the others, a few at a time. I did not quarantine (learned my lesson there) and lost 2 paradise fish, a GBR, and the tank ended up with ich. Everyone is looking better but my poor rope.

Tankmates include:
1 paradise fish
1 German Blue ram
1 Ruby ram
1 common pleco
1 juvenile rope

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
wow she is an old girl and not sure how long there life span actually is. this could be related to a severe ich infection to the gills but also could be completely unrelated. can you put her in a qt tank?

Jbean_88

Feeder Fish
Jun 21, 2017
Thanks for your response! I did place her in a 10 gallon qt tank but unfortunately, she passed away within a a matter of hours. I have read that their lifespan ranges from 10-15 years so she was definitely up there. She had been such a happy, healthy fish up until her breathing changed so my theory is that any sort of ailment (ick in this case) became life threatening due to age.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I am sorry to hear of her passing. I am sure she had a good life with you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store