Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrite?
0ppm
If yes, what is your nitrate?
20ppm
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every two weeks
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have two oscars ones my original Oscar and the one that isn’t eating i rescued about a month ago. He refuses to eat anything i have tried tetra jumbomin floating sticks which is what the previous owner gave i have tried hikari cichlid gold floating and sinking i have tried blood worms i have tried shrimp and freeze dried blood worms all of which my orginal oscar scarfs up he is not even interested

Ph:7
ammonia:0 ppm
N02: 0 ppm
No3: 20ppm

im also worried about this bump on the belly looks bloated.

IMG_7003.jpeg

View attachment IMG_7004.jpeg

View attachment IMG_6999.jpeg

quikv6

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2024
Perhaps I missed it, but how large is the tank. 40-50% water changes every 2 weeks seems rather minimal for 2 adult O's, unless it's a huge tank.

I am honestly not sure about the bump. It looks very concerning. I would say to up the waterchanges to get nitrates below 10ppm. There is no substitute for clean fresh water. Sometimes that in itself solves problems that the lack of fresh clean water may have contributed to.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
FINWIN FINWIN
kno4te kno4te
duanes duanes

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Having gone through something like this recently I can only say if its a tumor there's nothing you can do. Or even a blockage. The body color looks off. Do TWO 75% water changes per week, spaced apart evenly (ex. Mon/Thurs). Stay on this schedule and don't stop. Doesn't look like a prolapse either.

Oscars MUST have clean water they are major waste producers, not just poop but the byproducts of urine in the water. Like any fish they can die in their own waste when it overwhelms their body.

It was a rescue so likely has a chronic festering condition now showing itself. Do you know the age of the oscar? To my dismay I researched oscars are prone to tumors once they get in the 5-7 year range. Not all, but its common to the specie. Hate to be grim, but be prepared if he continues to not eat. Bulges like that in Oscars can be infection, impaction, or kidney/liver failure

Watch for and monitor the swelling with a picture every other day
Watch for excessively bulging eyes
sitting at bottom or curling up
Weird color changes (dark or ashy pale)

You can try Kanamycin. Or a medicine feed for bacterial infection. If this swelling is a sudden onset you must act fast.

Maybe others have some ideas.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Increase your water changes to weekly. You can try some Epsom salt 3tbsp per 5g and dosing some metronidazole to the tank if it’s not eating. If you attempt feeding then try soaking pellets in garlic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store