Hemibagrus Variegatus

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Thought I would start a thread of his own and try to keep updating it.
so this first photo is in the dealers tank.image.jpg
He was living in solitary confinement in the shop and was quite a “grump” and aggressive, kept destroying th
Bought at the end of January 2020

He was around 7” when purchased and the shop owner dropped the price to 25 percent of the asking price.
He went into a 48x 15 x 15 grow on tank and initially started his usual routine and destroyed the Java fern.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Now early May and he has reached 10-11” and starting to look a little large and interactive for his four foot tank.
Not at all shy, although just like all hemibagrus, loves a cave to call home , but as soon as I enter the fish house he is straight out and up and down the glass.
More interactive than even the Wykii ever was.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Thanks mate. Real interested to see how big he gets compared to wykii or wyckioides and to see if he stays so human interactive.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Late July and he has been in his upgrade to a 390litre corner tank for over 6 weeks. Whilst he still feeds with enthusiasm he has lost some of his inquisitive nature and no longer comes to greet me or feeds by hand.
He is however still active and living alone due to his aversion to tank mates. Now at 13-14” his growth has slowed.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Got him from Neil over at Pier in Wigan. Accidental buy as he had had him in for a few months but price was real high and he was soooo aggressive, was even tearing up the fake plants. Was hidden upstairs. Only one I have ever seen in 40 years doing this. Tore my 9” jau up though at 7” by jumping the divider so cost me even more to learn just how aggressive.
Even though I keep/ have kept a number of hemibagrus, none have come close to this aggressive, except my Wykii which even now in a community pond at 28” will tear my fingers off if I put it them in her cave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store