Herichthys tamasopoensis x carpintis hybrids

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Wow, another tamasopoensis keeper! I thought I was the only one on MFK, posts on these fish and information is scarce here and everywhere on the internet.
Your pair is beautiful, I'm sure the resulting fry will be very nice indeed.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I was a tamosopoensis keeper a while back.
Breeding with carpintus is problematic to me, because the fry with be mutts, neither carpintus nor tamposopoensis, and cannot legitimately sold, or even given away as either, adding to the plethora of mutts already out there.
Sorry if this seems to rain on your parade, but adding another mutt to the fray only adds confusion, unless you were to only keep the fry for your own enjoyment, or to be used feeders.
A pair of mine spawned years back, and the pure bred fry were in demand until I flooded the market so if I was you, I'd try to find a true mate for the Tamo, because a pure bred spawn would make for a better outcome., .
[/URL

Last edited:
Reactions: Gourami Swami

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I was a tamosopoensis keeper a while back.
Guess I am not alone! Cool little texas type cichlid. I am 100% in agreement that the hybrid fry should be used only as feeders or personal pets, and not distributed in any way. Obscure species like this should be kept pure as much as possible in my opinion.
Duanes, if you have other pictures of your tamasopoensis I would love to see them here or through PM. I have not seen many pictures of large adults.
Here is my little guy
tama.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store