Hi i live in the uk and im looking to keep a pond i was just wondering if you guys new about any coldwater or temperate fish that are predatory

SHAMZY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2024
Hi i live in the uk and im looking to keep a pond i was just wondering if you guys new about any coldwater or temperate fish that are predatory

Reactions: AR1

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
I know a lot of UK keepers tend to grow wels cats in ponds; probably wouldn't be able to put much in the pond with them, though.
Could always go with perch and/or zander, if they're legal.
Not too sure what coldwater fishes are available in that solemn country of yours across the pond; a lot of what Aquarium-Glaser posts is probably going to be legal, I reckon.
esoxlucius esoxlucius Do you keep any coldwater fish?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If you want UK native predators in a cold water pond then you're looking at pike or perch really. Zander aren't as widespread. Size wise, from a long term point of view, a pike may turn out to be a bad idea, depending on the size of your pond that is.

But perch on the other hand? You could keep a good sized group as they won't get that big in a pond environment, and the best thing is they are common throughout the UK, you can catch these guys as tiddlers easily in a local pond or canal.

You could feed them worms to begin with if you catch some small ones, and as they grow and their predatory instincts kick in, you could add minnows, small roach or rudd as food, again these are readily available in local waterways.

Where i live there are numerous small waterways where I could collect perch and feeder fish without too much trouble. Just be sure you check before you fish anywhere that you aren't trespassing!

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Fish keeping is not one size fits all. I keep cold water fish in Southern California which is very different than keeping fish in the UK. It's good to seek advice from follow members in the UK. I've seen people in the UK keep koi, surgeon and grass carp in their outside pond. Good luck.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store