Feeder Fish
Jul 6, 2024
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue that I've never really seen discussed. Bascially if a fish tears a fin, it will more likely than not begin to exhibit fin rot.
Also, some of the older fish develop raised white fuzzy looking spots (not ich for sure) that I treat with salt and they disappear.

I'm guessing there's a high bacterial load of some sort because younger fish are healthy and active.
I water change once a weeek 30-50% depending on nitrates.

My paramenters are 0-0-20 (40 nitrate sometimes), but that's when I do water changes.

Any advice?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Increase your water changes to larger once per week or increase your water change to twice per week. What kin of fish do you keep?

Reactions: RD. and tlindsey

jeyaquatics

Feeder Fish
Jul 6, 2024
Increase your water changes to larger once per week or increase your water change to twice per week. What kin of fish do you keep?
Okay I will try that out then. Fancy guppies mostly. It's a community tank woth corys, platys, fancy guppies.

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Agreed. Larger water changes, and you might also want to consider competitive exclusion, to help keep pathogenic bacteria at bay.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree about increasing those water changes and lowering nitrates.
That high pathogenic load has been discussed ad-nauseum here on MFL many times before.

I collect my own fish in nature, and test the waters where they are found.
I have yet to find any detect-actable nitrates where I collect.
IMG_4378.jpegIMG_3956.jpeg59b0a052-0a10-4021-b42b-745e31d6c438.jpeg4d3f7b49-98a4-4524-b07b-3ceaff607ad2.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store